UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2017, 8:29 am   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default 1955 Television advert

I have a pile of old newspapers. They make fascinating reading, especially the advertisements.

This one is in the 'Shoreham Herald' for August 1955.

The Rowridge BBC transmitter on channel 3 was on air producing a good signal but the south coast had to wait until 1958 before Chillerton Down on channel 11 became available.

How did they receive the weak band 3 signal all the way down at Lancing? I would love to be able to turn the clock back and see the demonstration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img605.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	146663  
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 10:09 am   #2
lesmw0sec
Octode

Default Re: 1955 Television advert

There was quite a bit of 'dx-ing' at the time. In Corfe Castle, a friend used to regularly receive Alexandra Palace when that was the only station, and later we used to get BBC from Wenvoe (prior to Rowridge) - it could get a bit grainy though!

When UHF opened up on the Isle of Wight, the signal in Swanage was enormous. I recall around 5-10 millivolts at the aerial!
Closed Thread