UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2017, 8:46 am   #1
Richard Key
Retired Dormant Member

Default EkcoVision TC185 Restoration

Hello All,

I have recently purchased an Ekco TC185 TV I believe it is from around 1953. I plan to restore this and want to get it working so that I bring it back to its former glory.

I have had experience with transitorised TV sets from the early 70's and Radios and Record Players from the early 50's, however, this will be my first attempt at restoring a 1950's TV.

The chap I purchased it off has had the set powered up and said that some on the valves heaters work as well as the CRT Tube heater but that was as far as he got before he retired from TV restoration due to ill health.

I wondered what the best course of action to take will be, I would usually start the device with a light bulb in series to see if there was any power supply faults and get a general idea for the condition of the set, I am looking for some help and advice on this as I said I haven't done this before and I wouldn't want to damage the set as cosmetically it is in good condition.

I look forward to your responses.

Richard.
Old 20th Apr 2017, 9:43 am   #2
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Re: EkcoVision TC185 Restoration

Hi Richard

First off, make sure you have all the service info for it, then before you apply any power, give it a good visual and check out the psu then work round the heater chain, also if it has any wax types don't hesitate to replace them along with any electrolytic caps. It might look complicated but as you work through, mark off on the circuit diagram where you get to.

Ken
Old 20th Apr 2017, 10:55 am   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Valve sets are much simpler than transistor models once you have got used to them, but as Ken says you need to familiarise yourself with the circuit. I grew up with valves and would prefer to fault find on them any day.

Peter
Old 20th Apr 2017, 11:08 am   #4
Richard Key
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Ken,

Thanks for your reply, I have managed to obtain the service data for this model, however it's slightly complicated as the TV set is covered over two data sheets. Most of the circuitry is covered under the Ekco T161 however the time-base circuits are covered by a supplement data sheet, just trying to get my head around where they link together on the electrical schematic.

The data sheet contains the values of the capacitors but not the voltage rating, I take it this information will only be on the capacitor itself?

Many Thanks.

Hello Peter,

I am sure they are a lot simpler I am just used to printed circuit boards I find the valve models to be slightly chaotic in their design.

Richard.
Old 20th Apr 2017, 11:58 am   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Key View Post
I am sure they are a lot simpler I am just used to printed circuit boards I find the valve models to be slightly chaotic in their design.
It's what you are familiar with, many comments when printed circuits came out said exactly the same about printed circuit, especially before they started printing component ID's on the board.
Frank
Old 20th Apr 2017, 12:11 pm   #6
1100 man
Octode

Hi Richard,
Welcome to the forum!
There is plenty you can do before applying power. As has been said, obtaining the correct circuit and familiarising yourself with it are essential first steps.
Any capacitor above about 1000pf (0.001mfd) will be a 'wax' type or a Hunts black crumbly plastic one. These will all be very leaky, and even if they haven't actually failed, will need replacing sooner or later. I used to replace these one by one as they failed, but as I always ended up replacing them all anyway, I now do it before first power up! Just make sure you don't introduce any wiring errors if you replace them all first. There will also be one across the mains input which will need to be removed or it can explode quite violently!
The line output transformer (LOPT) is the most vulnerable component. This drives the line scan coils and generates the full EHT voltage (16Kv or so). Due to the high voltage, it often suffers insulation breakdown. There are various techniques for ensuring there is no residual moisture in the windings so well worth familiarising yourself with these first. It's expensive (relatively) to have this re wound as it involves a lot of work.
There are also various views on re forming the main smoothing electrolytic, so again, a little research may be useful.
Continuity through the mains switch, heater dropper resistor and heater chain can be established before power is applied. Also the HT section of the dropper can be similarly checked.

The next bit is very IMPORTANT!!
If you have worked on '70's transistor TV's, you are probably familiar with 'Live chassis' sets. The idea of this seems to send people running from the room in terror . It doesn't mean that the chassis has to be 'live', only that it could be! One side of the mains supply is connected via the mains switch to the chassis metalwork. It is therefore VITAL to ensure that this is the Neutral. This needs to be verified visually and with a continuity meter BEFORE power is applied. A neon screwdriver is a good way of finally checking that the chassis is not live once the set is powered: after all, there could be a wiring fault in the mains socket into which it is plugged

It would be helpful if you could post some pictures of the set and the chassis top and underside view.
Do you have a standards converter or at least a 405 line pattern generator? If not, the results won't be very exciting
I am sure other folk will add their own knowledge to the above and some will even have in depth knowledge of this model (having worked on them when they were new!!)
Welcome to the wonderful world of vintage television!!
Cheers Nick
Old 20th Apr 2017, 3:42 pm   #7
Freya
Octode

The two trader service sheets you need are 1039/T24 and 1341/T148.
good luck, there are many here who will guide you though any problems.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 10:03 am   #8
Richard Key
Retired Dormant Member

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies so far, I am going to be looking at the TV in the next couple of days. I am going to print off the circuit diagram and get the capacitors ordered, I usually use CrickleWood Electronics for all of my components unless anyone has any better suggestions?

I have been studying the diagram on my iPad and as I said before, there doesn't seem to be any voltage ratings, will I have to get these off the actual set or is there a voltage rating that is usually used?
Closed Thread