UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2017, 11:45 am   #1
Dickie
Octode

Default Murphy A100 Fixings

I thought I'd pick this one off the pile as there is a bit more to do than "change all the waxies". As you can see it's in quite a poor state, with some damage to the top of the cabinet. This shouldn't be too difficult to repair with some moulded epoxy and paint to cover it all up.
The problem I have is that the base was held on with masking tape, none of the four fixing screws being present. All I have to go on are the 4 0BA studs moulded into the inside of the case. Thankfully they are in good condition. Could some kind soul post a photo of what the original fixing screws look like, and how isolation between the chassis and screw heads is achieved. I'm sure I could fabricate something to do the job, but it would be nice if I could get it near the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050115.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	136113   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050117.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	136114   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050116.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	136115  

Richard, BVWS member
Old 16th Apr 2017, 7:55 pm   #2
robin coleman
Hexode

Default Re: Murphy A100 Fixings

Good evening. I have just purchased one tonight. When I start on it in a few weeks I will report back my findings.
Regards
Robin
Old 17th Apr 2017, 4:32 pm   #3
Dickie
Octode

Hi,
After reading the manual I concluded the pillars were 0BA tapped Hex. cross-section made from sort sort of insulator. So I fabricated some from some plastic rod I had available and guessed the length by trial and error. It would be useful to know what the originals were, all the same. Here's a couple of shots of the finished radio, after a lot of rust removal, capacitor replacement, and loudspeaker cone reconstruction. It has to be one of the worst radios I have had to work on, everything is squashed in far too tight. Quote from the manual: "The compact layout of the A100 receiver has not been achieved at the expense of accessibility and, provided that the correct procedure is adopted, any component can be removed quite easily" which is another way of saying there is only one way to take it apart, and one way to put it back together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050185.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	141108   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050186.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	141109  

Richard, BVWS member
Old 17th Apr 2017, 5:33 pm   #4
phil3153
Triode

WOW ,great job well done.
Old 17th Apr 2017, 5:42 pm   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

That the one with a tuning knob missing Robin? I was considering buying and making a knob but someone had more cash to spend!
Old 24th Apr 2017, 9:54 pm   #6
robin coleman
Hexode

Yes it is the one with the tuning knob missing, I did not notice it at the time. It also has its voltage selector part missing, so I will be looking for one. It also has a white lead in the mains lead and a black and green wire which I presume on is the aerial. The mountings are like the pcb hex spacers you used to buy from Elektor.
Regards
Robin
Old 28th Apr 2017, 2:35 am   #7
marconi_pete
Hexode

You've done a brilliant job. Well done

Thanks,
Peter
Closed Thread