UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jul 2017, 9:01 pm   #41
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Skip find Ultra

Thanks, this confirms that it is likely to be a 1967 tube.

78-E is (same principle as in receiving valves) the tube type and revision. I have one other AW43-88 on file (which contains just 45 tubes, will be collecting more numbers in the future) which is coded 785 H1H so tube type 78, revision 5, dated august 1961 (factory original found in a 1962 set). It seems very likely that revision -E is later than 5 so the year would be 1967.

Last edited by Maarten; 19th Jul 2017 at 9:07 pm.
Old 19th Jul 2017, 10:24 pm   #42
Colourstar
Octode

That's really interesting. So I guess the original Mazda crt was exhausted when the set was about 8 years old, which sounds like quite good going judging by John's estimated service life of about 3 years. I love how these details help give an idea of a particular set's service life.

One thing we'll never know is how the set came to be residing in the cellar or shed of a house several streets away from the address on the repair ticket... and with a broken crt neck. Time to call Interpol!

Steve
Old 20th Jul 2017, 2:23 pm   #43
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I'd guess it went to a friend whose uncle 'knows all about TVs'. The back was removed, screws lost while said uncle scratched his head for a week or two, then the set gets moved and crack - hisss! Oh dear, the tube's gone so the set wasn't worth repairing after all. Lucky he didn't lose the back!
Glyn
Old 20th Jul 2017, 7:53 pm   #44
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
That's really interesting. So I guess the original Mazda crt was exhausted when the set was about 8 years old, which sounds like quite good going judging by John's estimated service life of about 3 years. I love how these details help give an idea of a particular set's service life.
What tended to happen with these Mazda tubes is that they started off brilliantly. After about three years they dropped off in emission giving a slightly blurred appearance and a lack lustre picture. The tube remained like this for a number of years until the customer noticed that the picture on their first old Ferguson 9" 941T bought in 1949 actually had a better picture than the Ultra. This is when the tubes got changed.
Customers rarely complained.

As a school lad I worked for D&B Television at South Wimbledon. One of my main jobs was to replace flat tubes in these Ultra models. This would have been around 1962/3. The owner of the business used to buy them for resale after overhaul. They were always I.F. twiddled so I soon learnt how to align receivers with the old E2.

I was never a great lover of this chassis but to be fair it was simple to repair and once sorted out was probably more reliable than it was from new.

A long time ago, in fact another World. John.
Old 20th Jul 2017, 10:04 pm   #45
matspar
Pentode

This is what I love to see! A total ruin of a set gradually returning to life. Good luck with the resto will be following with interest. I'm certain I have a good CME1703 crt will check if you haven't already got one lined up.

Best regards
Matt
Old 21st Jul 2017, 4:42 pm   #46
alanmoore
Tetrode

Back in the midst of time, we were I think given the "portable" version of this set
It had a light grey rexine covered cabinet. Model VP17-72?
It was in our kitchen from about 1973 to 1977.
I seem to remember ,it had the type of picture John describes.
The crt was past its best
I remember watching a Panorama programme about Millwall football hooligans in late 1977.In fact this was the last off air 405 programme I saw.
Shortly after this the set broke down ,I cant remember what the fault was,but the set was sadly thrown out which now seems like a shame , it was in very good cosmetic condition.
Regards Alan
Old 4th Aug 2017, 12:21 am   #47
1100 man
Octode

Hi Steve,
Just wondered if you had made any more progress? It will be interesting to see some more pictures!
Cheers
Nick
Old 4th Aug 2017, 10:01 pm   #48
Colourstar
Octode

Hi Nick

The chassis is nice and dry and I've had the LOPT out and cleaned it up. It certainly looks fit for further service.

That's as far as I've got. At the moment my weekends seem to be over before they've begun and I'm also in the midst of some work on the house, so I've not had the chance to sit down and spend much time with the set yet.

I'm hoping to collect a CRT at some point too, subject to confirmation. I suspect this will be an autumn project. Rest assured that any progress will be reported here!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lopt clean.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	147382  
Old 6th Aug 2017, 11:49 am   #49
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

The firm I was with at that time had a lot of these out on rental. they were a very basic set, but easy to service. The most common faulty parts I remember being the frame cathode bias cap. which was above, and nicely roasted by, the frame output valve, (re-position away from valve base), The CG64H video detector diode (nearly always leaky), and associated small electrolytic cap (the value of which I cannot remember). Also the I.F.s would drift off alignment, and the cores would often be seized tight (un-moveably) due to the I.F. coil formers being distorted out of shape by the heat generated inside the closely-packed, but poorly ventilated, cabinet. Some samples gave a remarkably good picture, though.
Good to see one being restored. Best of luck. Tony
Closed Thread