UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2017, 2:51 pm   #1
HenryRo
Retired Dormant Member

Default Advice on replacing IF transformer

Hi, I am new to radios and am trying to restart a Stewart Warner 62T36. The first IF transformer is bad (455kHz, part number 502102 or 16-6658). Does anyone know if these can be replaced? Where would I buy one? Thanks!! Henry
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 3:09 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Advice on replacing IF transformer

What is the fault with the transformer? Unlike European sets, American radios of this era are notorious for faults in the padding capacitors inside the transformers.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 3:22 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

According to the schematic the IF transformer's tuning capacitors are of the variable type, need more info regarding the defect:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbym...7/M0020757.pdf

Lawrence.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 5:14 pm   #4
HenryRo
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, from what I can gather on this item the primary and secondary should read 20R. The primary is 20R but the secondary is infinity. There must be a break.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 5:20 pm   #5
HenryRo
Retired Dormant Member

Actually the primary is 22.9R and secondary is broke. Here is a picture of the little beast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 23-07-2017 at 17.15.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	146695  
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 6:47 pm   #6
HenryRo
Retired Dormant Member

I found this:-

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...c.php?t=165802

I'll give it a try, I just need to pick-up a 100K resistor.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 6:54 pm   #7
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
According to the schematic the IF transformer's tuning capacitors are of the variable type, need more info regarding the defect:
That type of IF transformer seldom gave any problem, unless the fine wire going to the coils has been disturbed or it was damaged by someone or an insect getting inside. The transformers come apart rather easily for inspection. As stated before, more information is needed.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 8:58 pm   #8
HenryRo
Retired Dormant Member

It is strange that it is broken. As far as I can tell the two fine wires entering the coil are fine, and the coil is encased in wax.
Old 24th Jul 2017, 9:45 am   #9
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I thought I had replied but it seems to have gone. Here I go again.

I have used a mini single tuned transformer from a transistor set, connected directly on the valve base. Top coupling to the primary was by a home made capacitor of about 5pF.

Rewinding of the faulty coil should be possible, I do not know what the effect would be of replacing the wave wound coil with a solenoid winding which would be easier to do.
Old 24th Jul 2017, 12:03 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

A pile winding with the same footprint as the original wave one would probably be better.

Melt the wax off with carefully directed hot air so you can reuse it to coat the new winding.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Jul 2017, 1:44 pm   #11
HenryRo
Retired Dormant Member

Wow, way too complicated for a newbie like me, I'm not sure how to wind the wire - that must take hours?!? I'll try the cap and resistor first, I can tuck it up in the can so as no one knows.
Old 24th Jul 2017, 6:00 pm   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

The cap and resistor bodge should work OK but you may lose some selectivity (set not so good at rejecting close in unwanted signals).
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Jul 2017, 7:52 pm   #13
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryRo View Post
Wow, way too complicated for a newbie like me, I'm not sure how to wind the wire - that must take hours?!?
That's why I always like to encourage 'newbies' to build a couple of small radios from scratch. Plenty of info on the web for doing this. When most of us started, we wound coils and very often the wire was salvaged from old transformers...as long as it was about the right gauge we just went ahead and did it. All the radio circuits I started with had details on winding the coils....and it doesn't take hours....more likely only a few minutes to wind an aerial coil.

Give it some thought and a try. There is nothing quite like hearing a station from a radio built from scratch....and you'll learn a lot by doing it.
Old 24th Jul 2017, 9:05 pm   #14
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I have not unwound an IF transformer but doubt if there are many more than 100 turns. I have wound a solenoid for a slave clock, using 30,000 turns this did take a while since the wire was very thin and I was worried about breaking it. This was done using an AVO coil winder without the traverse working.

I have thought of a way to make a wave winder attachment but I have other priorities at present and I am not too good at construction but I am quite a good bodger.
Old 28th Jul 2017, 2:03 pm   #15
See_Mos
Hexode

I.F. transformers do sometimes appear on EBAY but the only ones at the moment are out of a 19 Set, they would work but if you wait you might get something closer to the original
Old 29th Jul 2017, 4:44 pm   #16
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by See_Mos View Post
I.F. transformers do sometimes appear on EBAY but the only ones at the moment are out of a 19 Set, they would work but if you wait you might get something closer to the original
I have an IF transformer that would be a direct replacement for the one needed, even though it's out of a different make of radio. I'll have to check with the Post Office to see what's all involved in sending it to you.
Old 31st Jul 2017, 4:47 pm   #17
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
The cap and resistor bodge should work OK but you may lose some selectivity (set not so good at rejecting close in unwanted signals).
I've seen the circuit used in the lower priced 5 tube radios in the US, but in the 2nd IF circuit. They really weren't bad in selectivity and sensitivity, but they did lack good AVC/AGC action.
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 5:12 pm   #18
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by See_Mos View Post
I inquired about the cost of shipping and Customs payment at the Post Office and was quoted around $22 USD. I thought, that was a lot of money to post an item that is in a small package and weighs less than a pound!
Closed Thread