UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2017, 10:36 pm   #1
reeltoreelrob
Pentode

Default Dynatron SRX26 low radio volume.

Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas about this, AM does not work, that does not bother me too much and have read the threads about this.
The FM works and pulls in all the stations I would expect and the tuning indicator goes up to the high quarter on most channels, the thing is I have to have the volume up to about half way the get decent volume, the record deck with the sonotone cartridge only needs to be about a quarter turn on the volume control to get decent level of sound. Both channels are equal and the selector switches seem smooth and crackle free.
Does anyone have any pointers before I go inside it.
Thanks in advance
Rob.
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 1:30 am   #2
Grubhead
Heptode

Default Re: Dynatron SRX26 low radio volume.

The RF section could be to blame, check any coils for bad soldering. If there is an IC that works both AM and FM then I think you will have the culprit.
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 9:31 am   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I think this unit uses the Mullard module for AM, that could well be the problem on AM.
On FM it appears that the RF/IF section is working with the signal strength showing good. Check the AF coupling caps from the detector onwards.

You may well be lucky and all the set requires is the switches cleaning, I would try that first.
Frank
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 11:14 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There was poor quality control on these chassis. Check for cracked PC board/s or dry joints in the RF/IF sections. A X12 glass can help. The AF stages seem to be as they should.
Old 4th Feb 2017, 10:35 pm   #5
reeltoreelrob
Pentode

Hi all,
Thanks for the comments, it will give me a starting point.
It is a shame the quality control was poor on these as I think they are a great set for the time giving a decent sound.
Closed Thread