UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2017, 5:23 pm   #1
dsergeant
Octode

Default Discatron Discaset. Circuit.

I am not sure what state this radio/record deck is in as I have had to order a couple of PP9 batteries before I can turn it on... I think it is a Discaset but I see there were various models.

I have the manual for the 'deluxe' off our DVD but that is for the record deck only model and has no circuit diagrams in it. Has anybody managed to find circuits for any of the Discatrons? A web search failed to come up with anything.

Having now powered it up I find there is no audio. The dial cord is not working and the tuning capacitor seems very stiff. The record deck motor seems to work but not checked it with a 45rpm record yet. The stylus looks OK.

Access to the underside of the circuit board is very limited as the wooden board everything is mounted on is riveted to the metal chassis and can't be removed. It also has one of the Mullard IF modules which probably contains our famous AF117's.

Any help appreciated.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	discaset.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	136745  
Old 6th Feb 2017, 12:32 pm   #2
dsergeant
Octode

Default Re: Discatron Discaset. Circuit.

The audio was in fact working but at very low level, a fault reported elsewhere on here. In the absence of circuits this was traced to a couple of electrolytic caps which had gone open circuit - replaced and all OK. No silk screening so can't give references. The record deck is working fine. The remaining problem is the dial cord which is slipping and although the complete board assembly can be levered out there is not enough access to really see what is going on or to replace the cord.

Dave
Closed Thread