UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jan 2017, 5:06 pm   #1
indigo.girl
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips turntable 22GC036/55 in Grundig radiogram

Hi everyone,
I've been at this for days now and need to open it up to the group for help. I have a Philips turntable in a Grundig radiogram that was completed gunked up with grease and it needed a full strip down and clean. I disassembled completely with photos at every stage but upon reassembly it is still not working. I have also used a schematic from radio museum to help check the reassembly (which I have now done twice).

There is one part that is unclear from the schematic. One of the metal rods does not appear on the schematic to connect to anything. The end of the rod is labelled L and it shows a hole in the subchassis that L goes through but it doesn't show what it then hooks onto. I have tried it unhooked and I have also tried it hooked into the nearest hole (I have labelled this hole on a section copied from the schematic with a blue ring). L is highlighted in red.

Here it is. Anyone work out what this rod is supposed to do?

Click image for larger version

Name:	gc part.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	136084

Here are some photos of the underside of my deck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6324.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	136085   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6326.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	136086  
Old 17th Jan 2017, 5:13 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips turntable 22GC036/55 in Grundig radiogram

I think your best hope it to let us have a picture of the deck from the top, and hope someone will have the same one ,then it would be easy to see what's happening. Mick.
Old 17th Jan 2017, 6:37 pm   #3
indigo.girl
Retired Dormant Member

This is the model from the top
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gc036 stock.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	136088  
Old 17th Jan 2017, 6:59 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This is one of the later Philips made models from about 1966 onwards - not an easy fix. What does "not working" mean, is the turntabe rotating? I note the centre stacking spindle is missing, do you have it for checking the auto functions?
Old 17th Jan 2017, 7:09 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

This might not be of any use but have you seen this video, unfortunately it doesn't show what that rod is connected to but it shows others in operation (the beginning and towards the end of the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwDXBXC8ZpA

What user control is rod L connected to?

EDIT: Sometimes it's worth putting the deck on a simple wooden frame or a couple of piles of books so that there's plenty of room to see underneath as to what or what's not going on when it's in action, the motor power leads will usually have to be extended for that.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 17th Jan 2017 at 7:23 pm. Reason: alteration
Old 17th Jan 2017, 9:14 pm   #6
ms660
Dekatron

The resolution of the thumbnail diagram isn't very good on my computer, is rod L number 136, 137, or 138?

Lawrence.
Old 17th Jan 2017, 10:47 pm   #7
indigo.girl
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Lawrence - its 137.
I like the idea of building up a platform so I can see it working underneath - I'll try that. I have seen the video you mentioned. It has been useful to check things but not the bit I'm after
Old 17th Jan 2017, 10:50 pm   #8
indigo.girl
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
What does "not working" mean, is the turntable rotating?
Hi Edward,
By not working I mean the idler doesn't turn the platter (the motor works after I freed it) and the buttons start / stop buttons don't seem to do anything when I press them.
Old 17th Jan 2017, 11:34 pm   #9
ms660
Dekatron

Just an observation, it's possible that rod L won't line up to whatever it's supposed to on the sub chassis unless the switch mounting pillars are fitted like in the 1st part of that video and also here:

http://www.gloeidraad.nl/radioforum/index.php?id=113664

Lawrence.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 11:59 am   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo.girl View Post
By not working I mean the idler doesn't turn the platter (the motor works after I freed it) and the buttons start / stop buttons don't seem to do anything when I press them.
Do you mean the idler does not move across to the inner rim of the turntable when you press the "Start" button or it does touch the rim, but still will not turn ? If so it sounds like a classic linkage and/or poor torque problem.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 12:52 pm   #11
ms660
Dekatron

Regarding rod L, I'm wondering if the L shaped end of that rod hooks round the left hand edge of bracket 88's vertical upstand, where the vertical meets the horizontal (as viewed in the diagram) without bending or forcing it.

Lawrence.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 1:40 pm   #12
indigo.girl
Retired Dormant Member

Here's is a video of the underneath. The motor turns but the platter does not engage with the grey plastic cog. So I have removed the platter and am turning the grey plastic cog by hand as I video. The mechanism moves back and forth and the pick up is swinging across and back on top. I think the problem is with the rods. When I press the stop button it stays depressed but does not cut off the motor. The start button has no resistance to it as I press it. Take a look at the vid and see if you can see if anythings fitted wrongly. There is also a rod that has some kind of spring/wire catch on it that I presume is supposed to move something. When I move the rod the wire just slips over the lever is on without moving it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer....this one is REALLY testing my patience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcZ333kOfAA
Old 18th Jan 2017, 3:40 pm   #13
ms660
Dekatron

I wrote..."Regarding rod L, I'm wondering if the L shaped end of that rod hooks round the left hand edge of bracket 88's vertical upstand, where the vertical meets the horizontal (as viewed in the diagram) without bending or forcing it."

My latest nutty theory on this, if in the above quoted, rod L pulls that bracket over towards the front of the sub deck then the edge marked A of part 88 will move to the right by virtue of spring 87, that means that the drive cog would also move to the left and engage with the platter.

Wadya think? Or am I off beam.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 18th Jan 2017 at 3:51 pm. Reason: changed word
Old 18th Jan 2017, 7:24 pm   #14
john.north
Pentode

Hello,
Rod 137 should have a spring on it with a trip mechanism.
Rod 138 is the one with the brass crimp on the end. This is the one that is connected to the motor switch assembly which is not on your drawing.
The Radio museum drawing shows everything the right way up which makes it difficult to follow. Once you have worked it out it is dead simple. Some of these left the factory incorrectly assembled and rod 137 where it connects on the stop button was fitted in the hole on the button tower so when you pressed stop the button stuck down. The only way the motor stopped was when the table reached its stop cycle.
John.
Old 18th Jan 2017, 7:42 pm   #15
ms660
Dekatron

Out of interest where does the end of rod 137 go to in the deck mechanism, does it fit to anything?

Lawrence.
Old 19th Jan 2017, 10:01 am   #16
indigo.girl
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.north View Post
Rod 137 should have a spring on it with a trip mechanism.
Thanks John - can you expand on what you mean? Is there something missing from rod 137?
Old 19th Jan 2017, 11:21 am   #17
john.north
Pentode

Hello,
Yes rod 137 which fits through both start and stop mechanism should have a wound section at the far end. A wound piece of spring then a formed bent section for a trip push is at the far end.
John.
Old 19th Jan 2017, 1:00 pm   #18
ms660
Dekatron

Just an observation, the top view video, I noticed that you were trying to push the idler towards the motor pulley, was that with the start/manual lever is pushed to start?

Lawrence.
Old 19th Jan 2017, 4:00 pm   #19
indigo.girl
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.north View Post
Yes rod 137 which fits through both start and stop mechanism should have a wound section at the far end. A wound piece of spring then a formed bent section for a trip push is at the far end.
That's interesting John,
What you describe looks very much like what is on rod 138. Should I have something like this on 137 too?

Here's a close up with the rods labelled
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	close up of rods.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	136149  
Old 19th Jan 2017, 4:31 pm   #20
Tom_I
Heptode

Sorry to change the subject slightly, but I notice there's a label on the mechanism that says "only for 110 volts". If that's correct, are you powering it via a step down transformer?
Closed Thread