UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 25th Oct 2019, 8:06 pm   #21
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: CPC has slashed its stocklist of IC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
CPC, on the other hand, carry a more limited range, often with only a tiny number in stock (like the Maplin shops towards the end, and look what happened to them ...).
But often they carry multiple lines of almost-identical shiney tat.
Old 25th Oct 2019, 8:07 pm   #22
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
they aren't always cheaper. (I do buy other more general items there though)
Also because most ebay suppliers don't have a full range, one ends up buying from multiple sellers and the P&P mounts up.

And/or one has to wait in to 14 separate deliveries from anyone from Royal Mail to Hermes over the next couple of weeks before all the bits arrive.
Old 26th Oct 2019, 12:25 am   #23
emeritus
Dekatron

Personally I have had no issues with slow delivery by CPC. In fact some goods I ordered by phone yesterday lunchtime (Thursday) were delivered mid-morning today (Friday) by UPS, and I had not requested rapid delivery.
Old 26th Oct 2019, 11:28 am   #24
ionburn
Heptode

I have not bought from CPC as they have not, either had, or had at the right price, things I have wanted.

From recent experience I tend to buy from RS most of the time although Farnell occasionally. On looking on other sites, such as ebay, I get the opinion that some vendors are buying stock in bulk and splitting to sell (eg transistors) in smaller packs. These tend to be expensive (I am talking the ones I think may be genuine, not fakes).

My view is that it is often only a small increase in price for (hopefully LOL) more reliable quality. I don't really know anyone locally, or a club, but it would be useful to pool resources for cheaper buying. I use a lot of components but by the hundred?

Maybe I need to be a seller but I have too many other irons in the fire LOL.
Old 26th Oct 2019, 10:51 pm   #25
jamesperrett
Octode

I've never had any problems with delivery times from CPC. In fact they are usually faster than they say they will be. I get the impression that CPC started out selling spares and gradually expanded their range to cater for various trades. It is interesting that Farnell kept the separate identity after buying them.

For the work I do they're not particularly up market but they carry a very wide range of cables and useful bits and pieces and very competitive prices.

For those working in education or government Farnell have the separate Onecall website where their prices are usually lower.
Old 27th Oct 2019, 12:27 pm   #26
Mooly
Octode

CPC's 'catalogue' in the late 70's was just a large glossy single sheet (about four times an A4 size) and listed common transistors, caps, resistors and TV's spares such as valves, LOPTX's and tuners... and that was about it.

I used to cycle the 35 miles round trip just for a few BC108's and so on (happy days) when they were on North Road in Preston. Once they moved to their current location they started selling more and more 'lifestyle stuff' and brown and white goods spares took a back seat.

Sad to see this happen but it's also a sign of the times I suppose as the demand just isn't there for discrete components these days.

Sadly CPC didn't stock many of the kind of parts that I would use and they never seemed to progress beyond the same parts they had in the 80's when it came to opamps and the like.

The trade counter these days is around the size of a fairly large supermarket and has everything from gardening equipment and barbecues to TV's on display.

I always used to smile when a customer would approach the counter and plonk down some charred component or other and ask 'have you got one of these'.
Old 26th Nov 2019, 8:44 pm   #27
woodchips
Octode

I have bought heaps of bits from CPC over the last 30 years when I was manufacturing, but that is winding down, so are the orders.

But I found them to be a reliable supplier. If you order more than about £50 worth then you get the next day delivery. But, since whoever bought them that has changed.

The best bit of CPC is the bargain list, 100m 16mm brown copper cable for £18 anyone? So poor I couldn't afford to buy them all, just one.

Seems to me this is like Aldi and Lidl. They only stock the basic items, like CPC, if you want the exotic then you use Tesco etc, or Farnell. But they need the turnover to make a profit and pay for all the staff, or go bust. So CPC and Farnell are slowly shrinking, as are Tesco etc. In 10 years we might regret the cost is everything attitude. Just read a story about Montrecon in Spain (think that is the name, can't find the story at the moment) who would make their own stuff, not buy for 2p cheaper off the other suppliers. Seem to be doing ok.

The reality seems to be that no one makes anything now. I was amazed at the Hobbies catalogue, see other post, so perhaps I am wrong. But when there are more adverts for kits to make model steam engines, £4775, than castings suppliers it seems something is out of balance.
Old 27th Nov 2019, 10:50 am   #28
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
I always used to smile when a customer would approach the counter and plonk down some charred component or other and ask 'have you got one of these'.
As an aside, when I was in a research lab I kept a small box of obviously burnt resistors, blown-apart transistors, etc on the back of my bench. So that when somebody did that to me I could say 'Actually I have, take your pick'
Old 27th Nov 2019, 10:53 am   #29
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
The reality seems to be that no one makes anything now. I was amazed at the Hobbies catalogue, see other post, so perhaps I am wrong. But when there are more adverts for kits to make model steam engines, £4775, than castings suppliers it seems something is out of balance.
I think, alas you're right.

My parents taught me that one of the greatest joys is making something -- to be able to say 'That's mine, I made that'. I suspect repair/restoration comes close.

It doesn't matter what you make (it certainly doesn't have to be on-topic here, or even engineering-related in general). It's the joy of creating.

But people these days seem to miss out on that which is a great pity.
Closed Thread