UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2020, 7:52 pm   #21
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: 4 pin DIN plug

The 4 pins-in-a-square DIN plug normally has a plastic peg which opens a swtich contact in the socket. It has to be plastic as it simply goes between the contacts, separating them. I seem to remember a 5 pin 240 degree DIN plug has the pins in the right places, pin 3 is in the right place for that plastic peg. So you have to cut off pin 3 and replace it with a bit of plastic. There's a similar 2 pin DIN plug (I do not mean the loudspeaker one) with the plastic peg and pins corresponding to the first and last pins of the 5 pin 240 degree plug.

At least one service manual I have numbers the pins for the 4 pin one 1,2,4,5 and for the 2 pin one 1,5 suggesting they were regarded as a modification of the 5 pin plug.

As for the 5 pin 'domino' or quincuncial plug (I prefer that name as I believe the term quincunx should be used more...) for serial ports, the Tatung Einstein used that connector and wired it 'correctly' so that turning the plug over swapped TxD with RxD and RTS with CTS. But few people remember that machine and I suspect even fewer have one now.
Old 10th Jan 2020, 9:11 pm   #22
hillmanie
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
The next thing I will probably do is wire a 3.5mm jack (and remote jack) socket into my Thorn 3224 reel to reel, whose mike input uses a very odd variant of the DIN plug with a plastic stud in it! Made of pure unobtanium. In this case I will probably put the new sockets on the rear panel, leaving the original in situ.
Wow! What a wealth of information. As was one of my options considered I prefer the 3.5 socket conversion recommended by Ben. Will have to consider the impedance match though.I have some old mikes with the AV/RCA type plugs and it will be as easy to install that socket as the 3.5 and I have some of these sockets
TT
Old 10th Jan 2020, 9:16 pm   #23
ben
Dekatron

There are a couple of extra considerations with my Thorn mod. One is the DIN plastic pin/ contacts issue, presumably this is a mic/line switch so I would use the NC contacts in the 3.5mm jack socket to handle that aspect. The other is the pause solenoid contacts, fgor that I would use a 2.5mm mini jack socket to make use of a mic with on/off switch in it.

The recorder's gain, I would imagine, would be enough for a typical cassette recorder 200 ohm dynamic mic. Newer mikes and the likes of Shure usually require more gain, though.

Thanks to Tony for your info, BTW!
Old 10th Jan 2020, 9:26 pm   #24
hillmanie
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
There are a couple of extra considerations with my Thorn mod. One is the DIN plastic pin/ contacts issue, presumably this is a mic/line switch so I would use the NC contacts in the 3.5mm jack socket to handle that aspect. The other is the pause solenoid contacts, fgor that I would use a 2.5mm mini jack socket to make use of a mic with on/off switch in it.

The recorder's gain, I would imagine, would be enough for a typical cassette recorder 200 ohm dynamic mic. Newer mikes and the likes of Shure usually require more gain, though.

Thanks to Tony for your info, BTW!
Thanks though to all who pitched in here. I'll check my mikes' impedance simply by trial and error, Also can make up trial sockets with a flying lead and croc clips before cutting any holes
TT
Old 10th Jan 2020, 10:14 pm   #25
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Hello gents,

as being an "old man" and living in Germany I can tell that the DIN connectors initially were meant for the following purposes:
180° 3-pin and 5-pin audio signals (tape to receiver, turntable to amp, ...)
270° connectors for microphones
domino 5-pin for headphones
240° connectors for special purpose such as remote control for slide projectors or tv
But well, by the time many designers came up with funny ideas, so these rules diminished.
Anyone still hunting for a special plug? I've got a box full of I-do-not-know-exactly DIN plugs.
Regards,
Joe
Old 20th Jan 2020, 9:31 pm   #26
Restoration73
Nonode

When the 7 pin DIN is used for microphone, it usually had a deep metal shell that operated a break switch for the motor circuit. As seen on certain cassette recorders, e.g.
ITT-KB, Schaub-Lorenz, Nordmende that I've seen.
Closed Thread