UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jan 2020, 1:22 pm   #1
Dorian27
Heptode

Default Akai X-1800SD

There is a cleaning pad on this recorder and it has gone dry any one now what I could put on it to clean again please
Old 17th Jan 2020, 4:49 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai X-1800SD

I have lots of Akai's, but am not familiar with this particular model. You can download from hifiengine.com (and other sites) the User and Service manuals. A quick look at the User manual and it references using 1 or 2 drops silicon oil on the pad and to rotate the pad halfway when it gets contaminated, then replace pad when both sides are contaminated.

I guess the oil is more for function rather than cleaning the pad.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 5:08 pm   #3
Trevor Leese
Pentode

I have the same model and I take it you are describing the felt pad enclosed in its canister, it's approx 1/2" tall. According to the instruction book it says to impregnate it with silicone oil but I would advise against this, I've left mine dry.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 5:15 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Currently I cannot remember which one, but one of my Akai's has the cleaning pad, I have never done anything thing to the pad, but saying that I have not used that machine much.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 5:35 pm   #5
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Putting any sort of lubricant onto a pad that touches tape surely can't be right even though the instruction book says to do it.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 5:56 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes I must admit it does seem counter-intuitive ? perhaps someone will know the history behind it.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 9:34 pm   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Akai transports use high tape tensions and this, coupled with the dubious quality of 1960s Japanese tape, could cause tape squeal. A trace of lubricant on a pad would trap loose oxide and ease the passage of tape over the heads. The pad was abandoned in the early seventies.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 10:13 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Great explanation !
Closed Thread