UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 19th Sep 2020, 4:41 pm   #1
Humber888
Heptode

Default Webcam with Microphone

I've never bothered to fit a webcam to my main desktop PC (an HP Compaq 6200 Pro) as I normally don't need the facility - an Android smartphone is used with Google Duo if I have to show my ugly face. However, my wife is expecting a remote consultation with the local hospital for a serious condition and they suddenly seem to have gone all hi-tech and upped the ante from a phone call to video. She could use her phone but the bigger screen on the desktop seems a good idea. All I really need (I think) is a USB webcam that will produce a clear image, with a microphone that does not produce muffled, distant audio. The PC runs Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with a 20" Dell monitor and 1280 x 1024 resolution (4:3 aspect ratio, not widescreen, if important).

Picking a suitable webcam via the internet does seem a bit of a minefield for the uninitiated, so would any forum member have something suitable they could sell me or else provide advice on what I should aim for?

Many thanks.

Mike
Humber888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2020, 4:49 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Webcam with Microphone

I just bought a Trust Exis for my desktop, which for less than 20 notes, seemed to fit the bill. Have yet to really put it through its paces though.
Old 19th Sep 2020, 5:31 pm   #3
paulsherwin

You don't need a combined camera and microphone. A desktop will have a 3.5mm socket for a mic round the back somewhere, and the camera just plugs into a USB socket.

Most cameras can be used as webcams if you don't have a dedicated one. There is apparently a shortage of webcams because of homeworkers buying them.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2020, 6:49 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

There seem to be a fair few available on eBay from about 4 upwards (or cheaper from China) - and most seem to have a built-in microphone. Obviously, I can't vouch for their quality, but the one I recently purchased for 14 (with wide-angle lens) seems fine.
Old 19th Sep 2020, 9:53 pm   #5
MotorBikeLes
Octode

I have a Microsoft LifeCam VX-1000 in front of me now.
I think it cost me a tenner (NOT NEW), but it would not work with my PC running Linux. Pretty certain I checked it on a Windows laptop (which I would do). Yours for a fiver plus postage (just short of 4 from over here.
PM me if interested.
Les.
MotorBikeLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2020, 10:22 am   #6
cathoderay57
Octode

Hi Mike,
See image below. Has USB for camera and jack plug for the internal mic. You have a PM. Cheers, Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080220.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	216029  
cathoderay57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2020, 11:16 am   #7
Humber888
Heptode

Thanks for all your replies. Ben, the Trust Exis may well fit my bill. Paul, I know I don't have to get a webcam with a built-in microphone but I have tried the mics I have here and found them unsatisfactory in various ways - the Sony dynamic mic has too low output, the headset with boom mic seemed prone to a lot of rustling, etc. So, a built-in mic seems convenient. Dave, Ebay has thousands of variously priced webcams listed but not many reviews. Those with reviews often suggest the sound is poor - hence the request for recommendations from users here.

Les, Googling the LifeCam seems to throw up a lot of folks with problems of it not working with Windows 10 and no driver available. The proposed solutions do not get universal agreement that they work. So, I may have to decline your very kind offer unless someone knows better. This does rankle as I hate to pass up an offer from anyone on this forum.

Jerry, your posting came in while writing mine. I will go and read your PM.
Humber888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2020, 11:35 am   #8
paulsherwin

The trouble with using a built in mic is you can't position it independently of the camera. Sometimes this may not matter, but the position and orientation of the mic is important in getting good sound. A boom mic on a headset will usually give the best performance, as it is always optimally positioned and less dependent on room acoustics. You may need to adjust the mic so that it doesn't pick up breathing noises.

I will look if I have anything suitable (mic and camera) later on today. I do have a W10 system to try them on.
Old 20th Sep 2020, 12:07 pm   #9
whiskas
Heptode

The Sennheiser headsets are very good (with retractable boom mic).
They start at 25 or so - a bit more money but very convenient to use.
My Mrs uses one to teach online and it gives good results
Old 20th Sep 2020, 1:09 pm   #10
vosperd
Hexode

I bought a logitech C270 a few years ago and it works fine for things like skype.
Just plugs into a usb port, sits on top of the monitor and it has the mic built in. It cost me about 12-15 then but I see the price has escalated. Best price I've seen is Ebuyer.com but I see they on back order.
Don m5aky
vosperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2020, 3:10 pm   #11
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I will look if I have anything suitable (mic and camera) later on today. I do have a W10 system to try them on.
I've had a look, and unfortunately none of my old cameras will work with W10 - no drivers available. Sorry
Old 20th Sep 2020, 7:22 pm   #12
Sound Man
Tetrode

I recently bought a used Papalook PA187 from eBay as I wanted to be prepared should I need one. The camera works fine on Windows 10.

David
Sound Man is offline   Reply With Quote