UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2020, 2:10 am   #1
Pete_1966
Triode

Default Tannoy AP60/3 PA amplifier - remember these?

Hello,
Anybody remember this: - a Tannoy AP60 PA amplifier? This is the model I remember from my altar-boy days serving Mass at the local church in Craughwell, Galway, my home village, in the mid '70s. It was just about able to power the speakers for the large cruciform-shaped church and was replaced with an entirely new system in early 1984. I clearly remember listening to the small monitor speaker in the sacristy when we would be serving Benediction - my job was to light the charcoal for the censer or 'thurible' as it was known, and to exit the sacristy with the lit thurible on to the sanctuary when the cue: 'Morning Star' was heard on the aforementioned speaker during one of the prayers. Long time ago but remember it like yesterday! Also remember a Westrex PA amplifier used for the chapel PA in our boarding school, but cannot remember the model - tried searching the net for images of same but no good.
Old 29th Oct 2020, 10:55 am   #2
MikeCross
Tetrode

Default Re: Tannoy AP60/3 PA amplifier - remember these?

Hi Pete,
We used many of these. One of my first jobs in the electronics lab was to do the annual
service of about 20 of these that were around the site. They ran 24 /7 and cannot remember any failures over the ten years I was there.
Have often fancied one.
Old 30th Oct 2020, 6:58 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Tannoy AP60/3 PA amplifier - remember these?

Remember Tannoy horns and amps at a local open air swimming pool, hardly hifi but loud.

"Have often fancied one. " But with them being Tannoy expect to compete with folk but bottomless pockets. I tried to buy & arrange shipping of a stack of Tannoy kit years ago, enough to fill a pallet, alas, never heard back. It could still be in a workshop somewhere or skipped.

Andy.