UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2021, 4:59 pm   #1
almamater
Diode

Default Old Bell Set 1

Hello,

I am new here and i don't know how to make the connections to this vintage bell that I have.

Recently I found this at my grandfather's house, some years ago (90's) this bell was connected to a regular phone line to ring at the same time as the phone (louder) and for he can hear outside of the house..

[img]************************94ycXkwG/IMG-5403.jpg[/img]

[img]************************zbj5KRjv/IMG-5404.jpg[/img]

Now I want to try use it the same way, it is possible connect this at the new phone line? I have one optic fibre Net\TV\Phone service.

Can I wire this bell together with the phone wires? Is there any schematic that I can follow?

[img]************************R694WTw2/IMG-5405.jpg[/img]

[img]************************V0kwRLGR/IMG-5406.jpg[/img]

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5403.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	235257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5404.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	235258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5405.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	235259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5406.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	235260  

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 2nd Jun 2021 at 5:29 pm. Reason: pictures added to post rather than rely on links
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 7:19 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Old Bell Set 1

The bellset no. 1, which should contain an induction coil and condenser (capacitor) as well as the bell, is intended for use with a telephone (such as no. 150 pillar telephone) which doesn't have its own induction coil.

What is shown in the images, however, no longer has an induction coil and, as far as I can see, has the capacitor at the bottom connected between the two bell coils. If this is the case, you could try connecting the two outer terminals below the bell motor across the telephone line (in parallel with any telephone equipment on the line). You may find that this bell (rated at 1,000Ω) draws too much current in addition to any other ringers on the line, in which case it would be necessary to connect a 3.3KΩ resistor between one terminal and its line connection. It doesn't matter to which end this resistor is connected.
Old 3rd Jun 2021, 2:00 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Mine was always a Bell No 1A, it was on the kitchen wall covered in white emulation when we got the house in '77

Polishing off the anodising was probably a mistake, as was the polyurethane varnish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1148.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	235358   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1147.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	235359   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1149.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	235360  
Old 4th Jun 2021, 11:48 am   #4
almamater
Diode

Default Re: Old Bell Set 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
The bellset no. 1, which should contain an induction coil and condenser (capacitor) as well as the bell, is intended for use with a telephone (such as no. 150 pillar telephone) which doesn't have its own induction coil.

What is shown in the images, however, no longer has an induction coil and, as far as I can see, has the capacitor at the bottom connected between the two bell coils. If this is the case, you could try connecting the two outer terminals below the bell motor across the telephone line (in parallel with any telephone equipment on the line). You may find that this bell (rated at 1,000Ω) draws too much current in addition to any other ringers on the line, in which case it would be necessary to connect a 3.3KΩ resistor between one terminal and its line connection. It doesn't matter to which end this resistor is connected.
Thanks for your response.

So, should I connect the bell with capacitor in parallel ? I have this connections:

[img]************************YGX2tYrM/IMG-5412.jpg[/img]

The capacitor is connected to L2 and R, Motor Bell to T and L1 and then the R and T are connected together.

Should I connect the telephone line to T and L1 and leave the capacitor disconnected?

Thank you

These images show better the connections that i have on my Bell
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5412.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	235414   Click image for larger version

Name:	MyConnections.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	235415  
Old 6th Jun 2021, 9:42 am   #5
giraffenigel
Tetrode

You will need the capacitor if you want to connect it to a VOIP line, so I'd try L1 and L2
Old 6th Jun 2021, 9:59 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks for clarification of the wiring. Apologies that I have ony just seen your post. Although the wiring is certainly more conventional than that of the assumption I made earlier, my earlier wiring advice remains valid, as confirmed by Nigel.

If, however, you wish to utilise a master socket capacitor, connect the A leg of the line (usually white) to L1 and the ring wire (usually blue) to R (or T, as they're strapped together).
Old 10th Jun 2021, 12:33 pm   #7
almamater
Diode

Thanks for the responses!

The bell is working !! I tested with one 3.3K resistor but makes a very low sound, without resistor works normally

http://youtu.be/iuc62piqmIY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bell_Working1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	235666  
Closed Thread