UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Aug 2022, 5:04 pm   #1
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Not exactly a computer, more a game...

A friend who collects odd computer related things has brought me this. It stands around 8" high. I thought it would be a simple affair, but it actually has a custom-made VFD screen! Not sure how long the 4xC cells will last though.

Surprisingly sophisticated with that terrible 'music'. I scored 980, I'll have you know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0954.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	263667   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0953.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	263668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0952.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	263669  
Old 26th Aug 2022, 5:24 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Not exactly a computer, more a game...

All the boys (except me) seemed to have one of those in about 1982-3!
Old 27th Aug 2022, 3:53 am   #3
hamid_1
Heptode

I also had one of these in the early '80s. The batteries didn't last long, which prompted me to try using a mains adaptor. Disaster! The game burned out after a few seconds. Without looking closely enough, I had accidentally used a mains adaptor which was AC output instead of DC. Lesson learned. After that, I bought a different VFD game from Tandy called Kingman and a set of 4 AA rechargeable batteries to go in it. In the 80s, rechargeable batteries were a fairly new concept. They worked well but ran out suddenly without any warning - not ideal when playing a computer game.

Years later I picked up another Grandstand Astro Wars game from a car boot sale, and the correct mains adaptor. It worked! Then I rescued a couple more Grandstand VFD games from the council tip : Scramble and Invader From Space - both still in their original boxes. Having looked here it appears there are lots more to collect.

I vaguely remember on Astro Wars, if you score enough points to go "round the clock" (greater than 9999 I think) the display says "Good" and it plays a tune, then the game ends.

VFD games were not around for very long before LCD took over. Single game units gave way to "Game Boy" handheld consoles and eventually games on mobile phones. Nonetheless, despite being obsolete, VFD games are becoming quite collectable.
Old 27th Aug 2022, 4:20 am   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got a game boy in storage with the batteries removed. I found it in the street scratched and battered but still working with the cartridge that was in it when found.
I picked it up intending to open it up to see what was in it but once I found out it still worked I never opened it.
Old 27th Aug 2022, 11:05 am   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

Very much a thing in the early 80's, my mate had Astrowars, I had a CGL Invader 1000 and a Grandstand Munchman. My brother had the Invader 10000.

All of them had custom VFDs and ate batteries - the munchman used C-size and the invaders used AA. I soon worked out how to use the multi-output adapter from my tv pong game to power them.

My invader had a mono green display but the later ones had multicolour phosphors.

Hours of fun.
Old 27th Aug 2022, 4:35 pm   #6
electronicskip
Nonode

I used to sell those things back in the day along with other handhelds, i have a frogger handheld that i bought from new when i worked for Rumbelows.
Old 27th Aug 2022, 5:05 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamid_1 View Post
After that, I bought a different VFD game from Tandy called Kingman
I was in hospital for a few weeks at the end of 1982 and my parents bought me an ex-dem "Ogre Eater" from Tandy for my Chrstimas present. I can still remember the "tunes" it played, and the best way of getting around the grid for maximum points. It had a 2-colour VFD and ran off 4 AA cells (or HP7s as we called them then).

https://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tandy/OgreEater.htm
Old 27th Aug 2022, 11:19 pm   #8
Richard_FM
Nonode

My Brother had Firefox from Grandstand which was similar. I'm not sure if it's still at my Mum's house & got thrown out in a clearout.

I remember each level got progressively harder, & I could never get beyond level 5, but my Brother managed to complete it at least once.
Old 27th Aug 2022, 11:44 pm   #9
Liamo81
Tetrode

I had this back in the 80s. Keeping an eye out for one myself for a bit of nostalgia!
Old 31st Aug 2022, 3:19 pm   #10
Courtney Louise
Octode

Recently I have managed to get Astro Wars, Scramble, Caveman and Dracula. Still trying to find a Firefox
Old 31st Aug 2022, 10:13 pm   #11
Richard_FM
Nonode

I got to play Firefox a few years ago at a retro gaming event for the first time in about 20 years.

I managed to get to level 5 but couldn't complete it!
Old 14th Sep 2022, 2:39 am   #12
ortek_service
Octode

Yes, I remember a friend getting one of those Grandstand Astro Wars etc.
- IIRC, they were in the Argos catalogue etc.

I never realised they had a VFD, but do recall these having quite a bright display (as well as the quite-loud sound they made), and I suppose they couldn't do it using LED's of that time, and putting graphic-symbol sheets over these.

The Entex Space Invader handheld, my Brother bought (From Silica Shop?), was just all Red LED's with symbols over these, although it does say (c) 1980 on the back:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...onic_Game).jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hjVH_TiCQs

I'm not sure what happened to his, but I did manage to pick one up v.cheap a few years ago (Although not in good condition, with missing cover over the 6x AA cells, corroded battery terminals and no alternative DC-Input jack), that I need to get round to trying.

Last edited by ortek_service; 14th Sep 2022 at 2:49 am.
Closed Thread