UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Aug 2022, 2:01 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Ferguson Fieldfare 348BT

This is the Fieldfare MK1 from 1959, I believe this was Fergusons first venture into Transistorised radios. It is complete with the fragile perspex handle. It takes two 6v batteries. I put 2 batteries in and was rewarded with a working but low volume radio. Tested battery consumption 10ma in red lead, 0ma in black lead. Checked the double pole switch, it was OC after working the switch for a while I got a circuit. But still no volume, the battery not drawing any current. Checked the OP TX it has six contacts 3 on each side, circuit shows one primary winding and 2 separate secondary windings. Turns out one of the secondary contacts terminates on the primary side and all windings tested ok. I eventually found the power was not reaching the PCB. I thought maybe a crack in the run of wire, not un-heard of but rare. When I touched the black wire where it contacted the switch it fell off, it had been held on by the insulation that was melted into the solder. I suspect when stripped 63years ago the wire was damaged and when it eventually failed the set put into storage.
Pleased I did not dive in and change all the Caps. Only thing needed was the Black wire stripping back and soldering, (pic 3). It now works well drawing in a lot of stations.

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2097.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	263637   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2094.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	263638   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2090.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	263639   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2092.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	263640   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2103.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	263641  

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 26th Aug 2022 at 2:18 pm.
Old 26th Aug 2022, 3:49 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson Fieldfare 348BT

What a neat looking little radio ; there's clearly been some effort put into styling the case rather than the usual way of building the insides then getting someone to make a box to put them in. Did Ferguson employ a recognised industrial design person to do their cases in the same way as Bush did with Tom Karen and Ogle Design??

Also fascinating to see it uses a single transformer push pull output stage, that was rather leading edge for 1959!!
Old 26th Aug 2022, 4:22 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

I am trying to make one good set out of two of these unfortunately now on hold as I empty the flat.

If the speaker fails its hard to sub the speaker that bolt coming out the back is part of the fixing that holds the two halves of the case together.

Both chassis work OK although one has very bad corrosion on all the metalwork but has the better case which seems to be like a moulded chipboard covered with a mucky brown vinyl material.

One speaker is a sub so no way to close up the case

Cheers

Mike T
Old 26th Aug 2022, 6:27 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
What a neat looking little radio ; there's clearly been some effort put into styling the case rather than the usual way of building the insides then getting someone to make a box to put them in. Did Ferguson employ a recognised industrial design person to do their cases in the same way as Bush did with Tom Karen and Ogle Design??

Also fascinating to see it uses a single transformer push pull output stage, that was rather leading edge for 1959!!
The set has been siting on the to do shelf for ages, when I realised it was Fergusons first transistor set I thought it would be nice to get it working, I am pleased to report yet again that these early sets often work with not much more than a twiddle of the volume /switch, and WC switch.

When I unscrewed the back and lifted it It was that heavy that I thought the circuit was attached to the back, but no it was just real thick wood 5/8" or 15mm this is to allow for the shaping of the case.

John.
Old 26th Aug 2022, 6:39 pm   #5
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
I am trying to make one good set out of two of these unfortunately now on hold as I empty the flat.

If the speaker fails its hard to sub the speaker that bolt coming out the back is part of the fixing that holds the two halves of the case together.

Both chassis work OK although one has very bad corrosion on all the metalwork but has the better case which seems to be like a moulded chipboard covered with a mucky brown vinyl material.

One speaker is a sub so no way to close up the case

Cheers

Mike T

Hi Mike, I agree 30R speaker with a bolt, would take some finding. If you have a spare escutcheon I'm looking to buy one. The bolt has damage that area on my set.

I hope you have a good handle they look very fragile.

Cheers, John.
Old 26th Aug 2022, 6:42 pm   #6
Cobaltblue

I will see what I can do

Cheers

Mike T
Old 26th Aug 2022, 6:45 pm   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
I will see what I can do

Cheers

Mike T
Thank You Mike.

John.
Old 27th Aug 2022, 10:40 am   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes Oldjohn, a very fine constructed Ferguson radio. 20m/a battery consumption at average listening level and 400mw output.

This one came off the tip a very long time ago and has never been tested. Your thread stimulated some action! A switch clean brought forth music and very good reception. Now where can I get a pair of 6V PP1s at 3/3d [16P] each?
I think we have totally lost the plot as we have with so many things with portable radios. John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	348BT (2).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	263707   Click image for larger version

Name:	348BT (1).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	263708  
Old 27th Aug 2022, 2:23 pm   #9
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Your thread stimulated some action! A switch clean brought forth music and very good reception. .
Its good that these first generation transistor set spring into life with the minimum of attention. Most of the caps will have seen better days, but that does not seem to matter. And most of the OC transistors just keep on working. You also have a good handle, there are pictures on the net without them.

John.
Old 27th Aug 2022, 3:18 pm   #10
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Now where can I get a pair of 6V PP1s at 3/3d [16P] each?

I would think it should work well from a 9v PP3, connect the red and black wires to battery, and a capacitor 100uf ? from the speaker to + or - on battery depending on the polarization of the cap. Long while since I powered one like this.

John.
Old 27th Aug 2022, 3:23 pm   #11
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Can some one please take a top view off a knob, I suspect my brights are replacements.
Here's one of mine, with apologies for it not being exactly bright! I've not suspected yours of being replacements.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ff2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	263733  
Old 27th Aug 2022, 3:23 pm   #12
Cobaltblue

I'm sure my knobs looked pretty much the same.

The bright doesn't seat well I assumed because the knob had shrunk a bit.

Unfortunately mine are not to hand.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 27th Aug 2022, 3:51 pm   #13
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Thank you for the photos, I have deleted the original request, as I realised it was a Fidelity Ayr that I had on the bench yesterday, not the Ferguson, The knobs are very similar. The "Ayr and Ferguson. My Ayr knobs had a gap maybe a mm or so all the way around the bright which I think may be wrong. Anyone able to comment?

John.
Old 27th Aug 2022, 8:35 pm   #14
Robsradio
Heptode

If anyone has one of these being broken, I need various parts to complete/tidy mine.
Thanks
Old 28th Aug 2022, 10:32 am   #15
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

A better front view of the 348BT. I wasn't aware of the weak handle problem. I won't use it again!
I have left it unmolested with just a wipe over. The bright parts could be polished up but that may take away some of it's peaceful aging. John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	346BT.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	263789  
Old 28th Aug 2022, 11:52 am   #16
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
A better front view of the 348BT. I wasn't aware of the weak handle problem. I won't use it again!
John.
That is only my assumption, there is one on the net missing its handle. After 63 years I would be careful with it. I don't intend testing mine, just in case.

Yours looks in good condition. Mine had a loose grill, it was missing the press on steel clip. Quickly remedied with a spare clip.

I am having an interesting time picking the 1950 / early 60s sets of the pile and getting them working, most cases little or nothing wrong, they just seem to keep working.

John.

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 28th Aug 2022 at 11:57 am.
Old 28th Aug 2022, 12:56 pm   #17
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The handle would be vulnerable to impact, but I can't imagine it giving way under the weight of the set, so I've always carried mine around by theirs. I say "theirs" because, as I've only just noticed, the handle of the late Fawn valve portable, 343BU, is very much the same as that of the Fieldfare. The perspex sections seem to differ only in the model name they carry, and the wire ends are of the same length but bent at different points because the Fawn is a smaller radio.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ferg1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	263793   Click image for larger version

Name:	ferg2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	263794  
Old 28th Aug 2022, 6:46 pm   #18
ajs37
Heptode

Looks good! I restored mine last year - came up lovely after a careful scrub and a clean/ polish of the speaker fret and badge - I've had it for some time and used to run it off 2 x 6 volt rechargeable batteries - I changed that to C cells this time. It works very well - it needed more of a clean and fettle than any electronic work. It now sits on my kitchen window with an Alba transistor and a Pye P75 - love listening to Test Match special on it!
Cheers
Andy
Old 29th Aug 2022, 12:54 pm   #19
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
It is highly likely that that the then Ferguson of the day would have used an external Industrial Designer/Consultancy or recruited one as a Member of Staff.
The "Designed by....." tag was often a feature of many Manufacturer's Marketing. The days of getting someone in the Drawing Office to do it were long gone!