UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2017, 11:50 pm   #21
Collaro
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Trouble Shooting: Total Silence from Amplifier

Oh what the heck, I'm not the kind of guy to spend money on flashy designer clothes, expensive cars or fancy restaurants. I think I can work in the collection en route on another trip that was already planned, so petrol costs won't reckon into the expense. And I get the feeling I am in a very generous-spirited community who are very willing to advise and share what would certainly add up to centuries (millenia?) of experience. There are options with that cloth that I can decide later on. Looking forward to playing with the Garrard and comparing it with the Collaro.

I have just purchased the service data sheet from vintage-radio.com.

I will update you on how this project proceeds.

Fascinatingly, I was directed to posts by Terry White from 2010 who was involved in the development of this particular EAR unit here

Many thanks for your time and help thus far
Old 27th Jul 2017, 4:52 pm   #22
Collaro
Retired Dormant Member

Default EAR Triple Four

I am the proud owner of an EAR "Triple Four".

It is one installed with a Garrard RC120/4H deck.

A big, big thanks to forum member Frank McVey, wiring, components and valves have been checked. The "total silence" (see previous thread) was sorted by probably reseating a valve, as well as perhaps getting the unit turned on gently through a lamp limiter circuit.

Output seemed a bit low at first, but it seems to have improved with a bit of use.

I have sorted out a Heath Robinson fix on the rubber bushes, which makes the motor sag and prevents 78 RPM - so now I can spin some shellacs which play as they should.

There are quite a few things I will want to do to the cosmetic appearance, as well as service the autochanger which is a bit sluggish when it kicks in.

But, all in all, very pleased with having one of these in my possession and it does sound very, very good!

Pictures to follow.
Old 28th Jul 2017, 1:48 am   #23
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Default Re: EAR Triple Four

My pleasure, Mike; good result and good to meet you.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 28th Jul 2017, 9:32 am   #24
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This record player will play very loud when working properly, a good 6 watts. In terms of the cosmetics, the white "trim-lines" on these often work loose but can easily be tightened/refitted. When cleaning the coverings, be careful of the 4 speakers behind the Vynair cloth.
Old 28th Jul 2017, 2:48 pm   #25
Collaro
Retired Dormant Member

There is no Vinair cloth and the speakers are exposed behind the wooden grill cutouts. It appears a previous owner removed all of that cloth and then varnished the wood underneath

The mid/range speaker is rather frayed and torn around the edge.

The project will involve sorting that out and getting a new covering put on.

Every EAR record player I have had has the plastic clothes line trim coming away!
Old 28th Jul 2017, 2:52 pm   #26
Collaro
Retired Dormant Member

Default Transportation Bolts/Screws and rubber motor bushes/grommets for Garrard RC120/4H

Does anyone with such a deck have these to hand?

What do they look like, and what are their measurements/dimensions?

Any help much appreciated - an uploaded image of them would also be really helpful.

Many thanks as usual
Old 28th Jul 2017, 3:05 pm   #27
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Transportation Bolts/Screws and rubber motor bushes/grommets for Garrard RC120/4H

I assume you already have a Garrard 120/4H that needs these replacing. You can buy comparable grommets from Maplins and you need to build these up in "layers" to get the required height. For your transportation bolts ("Transit Screws") these need to be course-threaded chrome headed types from Screwfix.
Old 28th Jul 2017, 3:08 pm   #28
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Transportation Bolts/Screws and rubber motor bushes/grommets for Garrard RC120/4H

I think (although I could be wrong) that this deck may not have had the usual 'wind up' transportation screws, but just had a couple of 'remove and throw away' wood screws from when new and possibly relied on a special supplied 'piece' that fitted onto the top of the record spindle that had a pad that contacted the lid when closed - like the Bush SRP31C.

The grommets can be made up from readily available types. If you do a search you'll find loads of information already on the forum as regards this.
Old 28th Jul 2017, 3:08 pm   #29
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Your will need to source an acoustically transperent cloth - not a solid "Rexine" type. The 7" x 4" speaker surround can be gently repaired with tissue paper and Copydex/Evostick.
Old 28th Jul 2017, 3:51 pm   #30
Collaro
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
You can buy comparable grommets from Maplins and you need to build these up in "layers" to get the required height. For your transportation bolts ("Transit Screws") these need to be course-threaded chrome headed types from Screwfix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
I think (although I could be wrong) that this deck may not have had the usual 'wind up' transportation screws, but just had a couple of 'remove and throw away' wood screws from when new and possibly relied on a special supplied 'piece' that fitted onto the top of the record spindle that had a pad that contacted the lid when closed
Many thanks for the replies.
Old 28th Jul 2017, 4:06 pm   #31
Collaro
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you - this will be done at some point in the future!
Old 28th Jul 2017, 4:22 pm   #32
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Hi, Mike,

There are plenty of speaker cloth sources on Ebay, but most of them seem to be a 45 degree "diamonds" pattern, whereas the Triple Four looks to have had a fairly open "square" pattern with the warp and weft being vertical/horizontal. The closest I've found so far (on a quick search) seems to be FabricUK. . I think you'll probably want to attend to this before fixing your clothes-line trim, since the trim is probably there to hide the cut edges of the fabric, which will have been forced down into the trim groove for neatness; any fabric you buy will necessarily have to be quite thin cloth, consequently.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 28th Jul 2017, 8:36 pm   #33
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
I think (although I could be wrong) that this deck may not have had the usual 'wind up' transportation screws, but just had a couple of 'remove and throw away' wood screws from when new
Quite correct! Ordinary wood screws, although they did have fibre washers under the heads to avoid scratching the deck plate.

Barry
Old 29th Jul 2017, 3:17 pm   #34
RojDW48
Nonode

Mine has transit screws - just rudimentary nuts and screw bolts through the 3 springs - see pics - also pictured the motor suspension grommets. Mine are just about OK but I find that a good old fashioned ironmongers is a good source of replacement items like that - it just needs to be held still and isolated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05303.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	147012   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05304.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	147013   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05305.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	147014   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05306.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	147015  
Old 29th Jul 2017, 3:22 pm   #35
RojDW48
Nonode

Oddly enough I have just noticed that the transit screw/spring arrangement in mine has very little in common with the arrangement pictured in the photo from the manual! Sorry for any confusion.
Old 29th Jul 2017, 3:31 pm   #36
John10b
Nonode

Hi
What is the difference between the Garrard 120/Mk2 and the 120/4H ?
Cheers
John
Old 29th Jul 2017, 5:07 pm   #37
Collaro
Retired Dormant Member

Visually they are very distinctive, with the mk ii having different style controls and knobs, and a different tone arm/headshell. Simply google "Garrard 120 mk ii" (quotes included) and select images. Then do the same for "Garrard 120/4H".

Mechanically, I don't know what particular improvements (if any) were made, and how that might have improved performance.
Old 29th Jul 2017, 6:15 pm   #38
John10b
Nonode

Thanks Mike
They do look very different, it mentions some decks being able to intermix record sizes.
Cheers
John
Old 29th Jul 2017, 8:47 pm   #39
Collaro
Retired Dormant Member

Back to my original post, I have been to B&Q, ScrewFix and also another local hardware shop and bought all screws that could be candidates to go into the metal hole of the deck baseplate. None bite into the wooden frame underneath, so I am at a loss how to lock the deck down
Old 29th Jul 2017, 11:58 pm   #40
RojDW48
Nonode

I did post some pics of how my RC120/4H can be tied down in post 6. Is yours very different? Perhaps you could post some photos of it to help us out?