UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 6th Jul 2017, 7:21 am   #61
llama
Heptode

Default Re: Radio Caroline to return on Medium Wave.

Yes, they tried to influence the outcome of a General Election (temporarily changing their name to Caroline for the exercise) but the "last laugh" was with the authorities because even though there was a change of government the jamming continued.
Graham
Old 6th Jul 2017, 9:02 am   #62
Junk Box Nick
Heptode

This particular escapade probably did more damage to the cause of 'free radio' than anything else before or since.
Junk Box Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2017, 10:01 am   #63
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

IIRC, it's the only time a British government have ever jammed broadcasts aimed at the UK
'LIVEWIRE?' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2017, 11:22 am   #64
Junk Box Nick
Heptode

Caroline really should have been established on land years ago - especially with the arrival of national commercial radio - making a real contribution to the broadcasting scene but the station has long been a thorn in the side of various governments down the years. The 1967 act and its equivalent in other European countries was good enough to close down all but the most determined offshore operators but ultimately Caroline was only silenced by the most draconian of legislation put on the statute book over twenty years after the original act.

However, if Caroline had been established on land in the 1990s, when MW was still viable for broadcasting, would it have subsequently become yet another pawn in the takeover game that has resulted in the homogenization of commercial radio, its very essence destroyed?
Junk Box Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2017, 7:34 am   #65
PeterRoberts
Tetrode

Hello All,

For those interested in the type of music that Caroline will be / is playing, their current schedule is on their website is at http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#schedule.html.

They can be listened to online, on mobile app, and even on DAB in certain parts of the country. I am lucky enough to be living in one of their DAB coverage areas and listen to it daily. The DAB coverage maps are also on the website and these areas include Aldershot/Woking, Norwich, Portsmouth, Glasgow, Birmingham and Brighton.

Cheers,

Peter
PeterRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2017, 5:19 pm   #66
Aub
Heptode

I seem to remember the jamming being on 244 metres so, at least up here in the midlands, there was almost as much interference to Radio 1 on 247 metres.

Happy days!

Aub
Old 8th Jul 2017, 5:51 pm   #67
Sideband
Dekatron

I found that by very careful positioning of a portable radio, it was possible to almost 'null-out' the jamming. I made a recording of it where the jamming was only very faint in the background (unfortunately long gone now) and yes it was on 244. I seem to remember RNI were slightly retuning the transmitter slightly HF or LF of 244 in an effort to beat the jamming. When the jamming also retuned, RNI simply retuned the other way so they sort of 'chased' each other about for a while. It caused local interference to R1 when that was on 247. Happy days!
Old 8th Jul 2017, 6:19 pm   #68
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
A few years after the pirates had gone (and before Caroline returned in 1972) RNI (Radio Nordsee International) in 1970 was jammed by a transmitter from Orford Ness. I believe there is an interesting story regarding this transmitter on the Radio Caroline website
Here is the interesting story regarding Radio Caroline, the Mi Amigo and RNI. It's actually on the Ross Revenge website. You need to go at least 2/3rd down the page where it starts 'It's now late 1965....'

Last edited by Sideband; 8th Jul 2017 at 6:29 pm.
Sideband is online now   Reply With Quote