UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 28th Jan 2019, 12:51 am   #1981

Default Re: AVO Multimeter survey

And another, very close to the other one, Avo 8 MK3 baquelite case

Serial nº 37590.266
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2019-01-27 a las 23.50.23.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	177240  
Old 29th Jan 2019, 12:58 am   #1982

Today i received my Avo 47 A, in perfect working condition, i will appreciate photos of the wooden box, inside, outside, front...

Serial number for the survey list is: 11203-543
Old 29th Jan 2019, 1:56 am   #1983

There is the same Avo 47A on the survey list (number 97 and 98 on Avo 47 section). And i think this one known, there is a few times the same Avo 47A on numbers 107-110
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2019-01-29 a las 0.54.51.png
Views:	73
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	177315  
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 6:45 am   #1984
Don Henschel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superscope View Post
Hi Don,

The Model 8 Mk V had it's serial number on a sticker attached to the right hand side of the case.
I have attached a Photo of the type of Label so you can see what it should look like. The Photo is not a Mk V, but the label style is the same.

The Label was normally but not always repeated inside the Battery Bay.

For what ever reason, the Label is very often missing on the Mk V's.
If it is missing, you may still be able to see a mark on the case where the sticker used to be.

Ian
Thanks for the info but mine is no longer on the case. A sticker for the serial number is quite lame to say the least as if the AVO is ever "pinched" all it takes is a second to pick it off. Those calibration stickers? Do they ever have the serial number?
Don Henschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 7:03 am   #1985
Don Henschel
Banned

This, other than the calibration seals is all that remains. No signs of any other label and this AVO looks like it was used in a civilized manor as it doesn't have much for character or experience marks. The only problems is the original leather case of superb quality but the stitching holding the flaps on the cover lid is letting loose. Might be tricky to repair and the test leads although they are very good quality with fuses encased in each lead are possibly from a different manufacturer. No indication of AVO and my are they large! They could be used for fence posts!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	177540  

Last edited by Don Henschel; 2nd Feb 2019 at 7:17 am.
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 7:19 am   #1986
Don Henschel
Banned

Are these AVO or another manufacturer?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	177541  
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 12:49 pm   #1987
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got a 9MK4 that has had the serial number label pulled off and replaced with another with an internal number on it. There is yet another local serial number on the front however even that was not good enough when the company changed hands.
The previous owner to me bought it from a factory closure down sale.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	177554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	177555  
Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 4:50 pm   #1988
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Henschel View Post
Are these AVO or another manufacturer?
Looks like someone elses lead/probe.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 2:23 am   #1989
Don Henschel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
I have got a 9MK4 that has had the serial number label pulled off and replaced with another with an internal number on it. There is yet another local serial number on the front however even that was not good enough when the company changed hands.
The previous owner to me bought it from a factory closure down sale.
Who knows? Perhaps the serial is within on the dreaded circuit board? No small feat to swap a board and this caused me a bit of anxiety waiting for it to arrive. You know the senario, bid first, do research later😧🙏 just to find out the Mark V circuitry was replaced with a printed circuit board void of descrete replaceable components and easily damaged if not previously loved by careful hands. As it ended up I just received a 15 volt battery from the UK and everything seems to be okay? The ohms range needing the 15 volt is a bit glitchy due to possibly slightly dirty or tarnished contacts and a bit of brisk working of the controls is making the AVO behave and come about. A big gamble that appears to have paid off and one aquaintance of mine had a funny sceptic look on his face probably thinking it should have been a Fluke but he isn't a fan of very vintage radio or valves as well. My comment is how much of this modern garbage will survive as long as these? The test leads don't have the AVO logo on them but obviously are high end from some vintage manufacturer and even though they have sharpe protrusions for tips, the plastic sleeve slides back to expose banana plug contacts for accesories to be placed on the end of the test leads such as alligator clips or the other clip on devices to clip on a wire or contact. Also each probe has an enclosed fuse so obviously fine kit. I have no idea what quality equipment exists over in your part of the world but now I have a "smiling face" for a multi meter. The Fluke fan I showed it to didn't understand what I meant by referring to the AVO as a smiling face until I turned it upside down and then the lights came on. Good enough to be used in the nearest University years ago as indicated to me by my brother when he attended University for Electrical Engineering and Computer Science years ago.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 1:53 pm   #1990
Refugee
Dekatron

The meter works fine as it did for an old workshop I worked for until the owner closed it down and gave me much of the test gear.
It is just the first owner that was into pulling labels off and sticking on different ones.
I have a second one from the same place however it has the serial number on the scale plate and it has been added to this thread some time ago.
Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2019, 8:08 am   #1991
AndyGilham
Pentode

I have been trawling through some old paperwork here on site and fond some research documentation on the Model 8 Mk 5. This includes a table of Avometer that have been returned for repair and includes the problems discovered. The list consists of 70 Avometers and there serial numbers (All 8 Mk5) Would the survey like this list? Obviously the instruments could be long gone by now, or maybe a member has one of them!

Andy
AndyGilham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2019, 8:32 am   #1992
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Andy, I think it would be fascinating to see that information. It’s quite likely that at least some of the meters have ended up in the hands of enthusiasts.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2019, 10:51 am   #1993
The Philpott
Dekatron

Don, if a decent looking Model 8 Mk II or III came your way it would be a better bet than the Mk V (But would likely still require attention here and there!)

Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2019, 12:08 pm   #1994
Herald1360
Dekatron

Acquired in a mixed box of books and "stuff" from RWB last Sunday.....

AVO 7Mk II

71303-A-557

Instrument has grey hammered finish metal case.
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2019, 12:52 pm   #1995
Pamphonica
Nonode

A box of Avos from the RWB auction on Sunday yielded some interesting items:

Avo Model 2 13-range s/n 6062 - working well - still only 1% out at 10V! (late serial so mid 1930s)
Avo Model D s/n 14403-444 (1944)
Avo 7 MkI s/n 71043-12212 (year?)
Avo 7 MkI s/n 3379-A-248? (repainted crude hand-lettered s/n on white paint over original, on what looks like replacement scale. Last 3 digits very unclear)
Avo 8 Mk III s/n 17878-569 (1969)
Avo 48A s/n 19684-745 (1945)
plus three service spare movements in plastic cases, all Avo 8 Mk III
one movement has a proper s/n 16706-269 (1969?)
one movement has a hand-lettered s/n 1532 (printed part no 13574-80)
one movement has strange s/n hand lettered 114-1-15-361

a much more interesting haul than it looked on first sight!

- Jeremy
Old 5th Feb 2019, 1:06 pm   #1996
micheal
Pentode

Avo 7 MkI s/n 71043-12212 (year?)

First digit 7 is model number 1043 is month and year so October 1943

Regards Mike
micheal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2019, 1:55 pm   #1997

Avo 40 mk2 serial 12726-B-356 old style binding posts, aluminium case. perfect working condition.
Old 5th Feb 2019, 10:28 pm   #1998
Don Henschel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Don, if a decent looking Model 8 Mk II or III came your way it would be a better bet than the Mk V (But would likely still require attention here and there!)

Dave
Possibly and perhaps better is questionable? The biggest thing to consider is HOW was it treated? The issue is If shunts, circuit board traces, etc. are damaged. I did a few current tests and so far they also seem to work as well. By a miracle mine was "Previously loved" and handled carefully as nothing was bodged or knackered in mine (thank God!) and other than a bit of tarnish on the switch contacts it is coming around. Perhaps as primitive as my Philco 444 in today's standards but still a quality piece of kit anyway and it isn't damaged. I warned the seller about switching it to the off position to dampen the movement but to my surprise he packed the AVO with bubblewrap on the sides and bottom BUT nothing on top with only the somewhat tired leather case and the box protecting the AVO eeeeeeeeek! No damage with only slight leakage from the 15 volt. Unfortunately the twenty sum year old 1.5 volt was taken out that wasn't leaking as it is most certainly a much different looking item from our local usual brands. You would be surprised how many people from Britain live in my small town of 1600 in Saskatchewan and it would be a little bit of a chuckle to place a British vintage torch battery on the table at coffee row and say when was the last time you saw one of these? They have been here since the 70's freezing in our miserable climate and some know I collect vintage British and European sets and we compare notes on what they used to own and listen to back in the day. A small world to say the least and hopefully the 444 and "volksempfanger" won't be my only "family members"
Oh as for the serial number perhaps that calibration tag with reference numbers on it could shed some light but the company is a bit too far for me to contact. The previous owner probably ended up with it in a box of shtuf and flipped it on eBay as he didn't know much about it. Perhaps common where they were made but not common here.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 7:37 pm   #1999
Superscope
Octode

Great to see the Numbers flooding back in.
Only been gone a week and the Thread has lit up like a Christmas Tree!

Andy,

Yes, I think it would be great to get a copy of the List you found if at all possible.
I will add the Numbers to the Database, together with any other relevant Information.

For the Purposes of the Survey, it doesn't overly matter if the Meter still exists or not,
but I will make a note that the Numbers come from such a List.

Ian
Superscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2019, 8:53 pm   #2000

Two more.

Model 7 serial nº 4014-A-1048

Model 7 serial nº 3418-A-367-M
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2019-01-31 a las 8.02.07.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	60.1 KB