UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2006, 11:01 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default N.V.C.F meetings

Hi. I have just noticed another change in location for the N.V.C.F. I understand that the N.E.C proved expensive for the event, which is a shame. I found that the N.E.C was easy for me to get to by rail from Leeds (I do not have a car, myself). I noticed that many other people also came to the N.E.C radio event by train also, because it was easy to access for them.
Personally, whatever I bought at these events, I was given a lift by a friend, so the return home was not a problem.
I found the Motorcycle Museum difficult to get to from the N.E.C rail station, as it added extra in taxi fare. I am not sure about the Leamington Spa event on how to get there without costing extra amounts in fare.
I greatly enjoy coming to this event, and do not want to loose out on this if it becomes a great expense in travelling to get to it.
Couldn't some future events be held in towns/cities further north for a change, and yet still be accessible for people further south?
Is there an exhibition centre or a conference centre in Birmingham that could accomodate such an event at a reasonable cost, and yet be easily accessible by both motorists & non-car owners?
Regards
Mike
Old 27th Feb 2006, 12:14 am   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: N.V.C.F meetings

I know some members of the committee have spent a lot of time searching for suitable venues. Some are not interested in one-day bookings (they want to book the whole weekend), many are too expensive, have poor transport links or charge for car parking.

The logistics of moving an event to a different venue are considerable. We didn't really want to do aa second move within a year but it was unavoidable. However the idea of holding the event at different venues around the country would be even more work and hassle which we don't need.

Also we think that visitors and vendors prefer some sort of stability. Organisers certainly do.

We are looking into the possibility of a shuttle bus from Leamington Spa station to the hall. This would probably be free or may make a nominal charge (certainly nowhere near as expensive as a taxi) which should help those of you who use public transport.

The main criticism of the NEC by visitors was the cost of parking (currently £7). Since the vast majority of visitors travel by car, this is something we have to listen to. We did consider public transport links when selecting a new venue, but also have to consider the cost of hiring the venue. Venues with excellent transport links (like the NEC) will inevitably be more expensive.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 27th Feb 2006, 12:42 am   #3
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Just a note to those xenophobics who organise the NVCF although Birmingham is near enough the centre of England Derby is actually the centre of the United Kingdom so maybe we could have meetings a little further north, there are plenty of economically priced venues with free parking and although not attractive to the majority of the BVWS southern based members would be a little more democratic

Mike
Old 27th Feb 2006, 9:55 am   #4
Duke_Nukem
Octode

The problem with moving an established event any great distance from it's original location is for each person who finds the new location better there will be those who regularly attend the event that find it less convenient. It is therefore a gamble whether such a move would be beneficial in terms of numbers and bear in mind that whilst every other BVWS event isn't about making a profit the NVCF is a commercial event.

The NEC and Motorcycle museum were well covered by motorways - M5, M6, M40 and not too far from M1. The new location isn't quite so good be still pretty good.

The other thing to bear in mind is that whoever is organising an event is not going to be keen to organise events too far from where they live. Harpendon and Wooton Bassett are organised by people that don't live too far from them. Terry Martini and his partner used to organise the NVCF but theve now moved to a foreign country (Scotland ) so its no big suprise they aren't organising it now.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 27th Feb 2006, 12:05 pm   #5
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelect
Just a note to those xenophobics who organise the NVCF although Birmingham is near enough the centre of England Derby is actually the centre of the United Kingdom so maybe we could have meetings a little further north, there are plenty of economically priced venues with free parking and although not attractive to the majority of the BVWS southern based members would be a little more democratic

Mike
Hmm, Ok, Geographically Derby may well be the centre of England, but in business, and generally, I would reckon a survey would throw Birmingham out as a clear leader for the title!

Personally it matters little to me where an event is staged - anything circa 200 miles from me is ok to travel to, what is far more important to me would be location with respect to major arterial routes, and facilities at said venue, and of course PARKING - (Harpenden organisers please take note )

A mobile event suggested in an earlier post would only serve to be the final nail in the NVCF coffin - I fear for the event's viability in the future - if it made a loss at a cheaper venue, and makes a loss at this venue, then I would think the event would cease to exist - two moves in two years will not help the cause either.

Simple really if we wish the event to continue, then we must support it, no matter where the event is staged - we spend vast sums collecting equipment, so surely a few quid for fuel is not an issue, if it is, then car sharing is a way forward.

Looking through the members handbook shows a geographical swell to the south, so I guess preaching to the majority is the sensible way to conduct business....

over!

Cheers
Sean
Old 27th Feb 2006, 12:48 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I rejoice that the NVCF is as far north as it is (400 mile round trip for me). I can just about manage the trip in a day without having to start or finish at ridiculous hours.

I appreciate that the majority of enthusiasts are based in southerly locations and that those of us in "The North" are fairly scattered geographically.

I do not manage to get to any of the other (more southerly) BVWS events, so I look forward to the NVCF and hope that it is able to continue.
Old 27th Feb 2006, 1:39 pm   #7
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll
I rejoice that the NVCF is as far north as it is (400 mile round trip for me). I can just about manage the trip in a day without having to start or finish at ridiculous hours.
Similar distance for me (about 20 miles from Dave).

We are luck enough to have a friend with a house near the junction of the M5 and M42 so we usually make a holiday of it and have a few days away.

The important thing is to support the event - it is a wonderful opportunity to see what's about and meet like minded people.

I know how much effort, hard work, blood sweat and tears goes into organising an event like this, and it is all wasted without visitors!
Old 27th Feb 2006, 7:44 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ecy
I fear for the event's viability in the future - if it made a loss at a cheaper venue, and makes a loss at this venue, then I would think the event would cease to exist....
If this one doesn't break even then the committee will certainly be seriously considering whether the event has a future or not. The hall hire is about half the price of the NEC and NMM so we are confident that it will pay its way and hopefully recoup some of the previous losses, as long as the move doesn't cause us to lose too many visitors.

We are aware of the parking problem at Harpenden, but the same issues of finding a suitable alternative in the same general area apply. Suggestions would be welcome, of course (but for specific venues, not just town names). Currently the NVCF and our 30th anniversary are higher priorities though.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 27th Feb 2006, 8:14 pm   #9
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I will start a new thread for Harpenden.

As for the NVCF, well I do hope it is a sucsess, but given the level of loss made at the last event I would hope that the shortfall was made up in the cheaper rent of the new location.

Sadly, enthusiasts/collectors struggle to pay for tables at bigger venues - I vouch from experience as I used to have a couple of tables at the picketts lock radio rallies - £160.00 for table hire plus travel and food equals a large overhead to clear.

Compare that to the Wood green animal shelter (a Superb venue, if a little chilly) where radio rally tables are 12 quid each, and our last stall made over 2 grand in 4 hours.......(Radio Club selling donated test gear)

I would of course be happy to assist in any way possible (assuming I am not at by work) - we need to have a national event, after all the British invented collecting!

Cheers
Sean