UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2010, 2:36 pm   #1
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hoover 912

I thought this was old but I see an even older Hoover machine was shown in one of yesterdays threads. I did some repairs on this machine a few years ago but it came back last week. This time it was only a minor problem, an internal break in the mains cable where it enters the handle. The cable protector had perished and gone floppy so I found a suitable replacement off a more modern vacuum. I have some spares for older machines recently acquired from a chap who was retiring. I knew there were a few armatures so I checked and found one to fit. The winding pattern is different but it is obviously the same size etc so i fitted it and it works fine. I can't charge the customer for the armature but thought it was better to use it than it just eventually getting binned. I got a new 25 watt pygmy bulb and the machine is almost ready to go back. The only thing I have to sort now is the On/Off switch. There is nothing to positively position the switch in the handle but if not precisely square with the hole in the escutcheon there is not enough throw and it fails to switch off. I will need to put packing behind the switch to force it hard against the escutcheon. I don't know how old the machine is but this model was introduced in 1950.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoover1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	38046   Click image for larger version

Name:	hoover2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	38047   Click image for larger version

Name:	hoover3.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	38048  

Last edited by Dave Moll; 14th Jul 2010 at 3:01 pm. Reason: oversized images converted to thumbnails
Closed Thread