UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2010, 10:17 am   #21
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Restored Lec Colonial Fridge 1950s

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbyeddy View Post
presumably the modan so called "3 way" fridges used in caravans and motor homes are absorption types?
Yes they are, they are virtually bomb proof in design, occaisionally they would stop working due to a blockage in the system, turning them upside down and rocking them about a bit would invariably put them right. The only disadvantage is that they are less energy efficient than compressor types.

Peter
Old 19th May 2010, 11:47 am   #22
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I guess you are correct on that as there is no noise from ours.
Old 25th May 2010, 8:56 pm   #23
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

In the 70's I was an apprentice engineer with a company called HC TROLDHAL. We used to repair LEC fridges also frigidaire, Prestcold and some others. They were all built to last and because they cost a lot of money they all had the seperate motor and compressor.

I remember one of the Frigidaire models having a compressor that hung on three springs making it almost silent and no plastic lining. Its innards were all enamelled steel in various colours some had interchangable Formica door panels that could be changed when the kichen decor was changed.

They rarely broke down and when they did it was usually a thermostat or a relay. The Frigidaire was the Rolls Royce of fridges in the fifties they made matching kitchen appliances. All a far cry from the rubbish on offer today.

I remember going to a large house on the outskirts of town on a call to a fridge (to replace the light bulb). On arrival I was shown into a 1950's kitchen with various applicances in Sea Green with matching base and wall units with cream Formica worktops. Also the most amazing electric kettle in chrome shaped like a rocket. I remember thinking at the time my mum would kill for this.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 9th Jun 2010 at 2:19 pm. Reason: Converted to English.
Old 8th Jun 2010, 6:19 pm   #24
Colourstar
Octode

Nice restoration! I too have a vintage LEC fridge doing sterling service in my kitchen. It was bought from the original owner a couple of years ago for something daft like £20 and it's been quietly doing it's thing happily ever since. It's date stamped 1959 inside the door and I love the stylised chrome LEC logo on the front.

I was surprised to see a life-size photographic blow-up of my model in the window of a trendy clothes shop in Nottingham last year.

Steve J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0630.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	36780   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0632.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	36781   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0633.jpg