UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2010, 1:13 pm   #1
Line whistle
Hexode

Default Yacht electric fire.

Hi,
Has anyone any info on these electric fires. So far all I can find out is that it was made by a company called Bunting around 1938. Quite a number of these fires turn up at antique/collectors fairs so I would imagine they may have been popular.
Thanking you in advance,
Des.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	35728  
Old 12th May 2010, 5:40 pm   #2
dallaslaff
Pentode

Default Re: Yacht electric fire.

Hi, Weve got one of these. My wife bought it at an Antiques fair a couple of years ago. I tried to do a bit of research on them but found very little. We thought ours was 1950s, ours is a slightly different design to yours (I think yours is an earlier style), having rod stand with round thermopastic feet. I had guessed that because of the open nature of the guard that it would be relatively old, but ours has 2 BS numbers BS1670 and BS1945, IIRC, BS1945 was introduced in 1970, so ours must be younger than that. My guess was that Bunting were a small manufacturer, who turned out this design for 40 years or more. I also read somewhere that because of, what would now be considered dangerous, guarding of the the live parts it is a popular project to convert these fires to lamps, using fluorescent tubes. I also rewired ours as it used asbestos covered cables to internall connect the 2 elements. Hope someone knows more!
Les

Last edited by dallaslaff; 12th May 2010 at 5:41 pm. Reason: Missing word
Old 12th May 2010, 9:05 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

There was actually a lamp-version using tubular incandescents.
Old 13th May 2010, 7:30 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I pulled an immaculate one of these off the tip around 15 years ago and popped in the office for safe keeping.....I think it had 'Britannic' on the side of the yacht. It was stolen during the morning and was never seen again! J.
Old 14th May 2010, 8:29 am   #5
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

Charlie Ross on BBC1 "Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is", (10-11 am) bought one from a boot fair and had it restored with a new element. He later sold it for a goodly sum.
Old 14th May 2010, 9:21 am   #6
ray@roberts
Retired Dormant Member

I have one of these fires bought years ago from an antiques fair. It was working but not any more. Do you know whether the two elements are still obtainable and where from?
Thanks
Ray
Old 14th May 2010, 12:53 pm   #7
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

http://trpoole.co.uk/spares.htm
Old 14th May 2010, 2:38 pm   #8
dallaslaff
Pentode

Hi, There are Bunting yacht fires for sale here-
http://www.capesdunn.com/Catalogues/CE270109/page2.html and
here -
http://www.sheryls-artdeco.co.uk/misc1.html

I've had another look at the information on ours, it has the following :
Bunting McConnell Co. Ltd
Prospect Hill
Kidderminster
Worcs.

Registered Design No 842176

As well as the BS numbers BS1670 and 1945.
Anyone know how to find or has access to a "registered design" list?
Les
Old 19th May 2010, 8:23 am   #9
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Re the BS 1945 number .I looked this up and it does mention after 1970/1 , but I have an electric fire that was my grandmothers .Belling ,half a cylinder swing type .Black with cream round ends .This has that number on it , But it cant be after 1970 .I can remember it from about 1972 , which doesnt help , but It has age about it .Purple cloth rubber flex with black and red wires for starters .Proper dolly toggle switch on the back too.These models could be hung on the wall as well.
Closed Thread