UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2010, 9:41 pm   #1
Line whistle
Hexode

Default Hoover 119 and 612 vacuum cleaners.

Hi,
I've just bought these two vacuum cleaners. The 119 Junior came with its tools in their box and instruction book. On both the mains cables have seen better days (Cracked). I'll replace these and give them a check over before use. I was told from the person I bought them from that they are both working. I think they both have the wrong bags fitted.
Part of my contribution towards the household chores is hoovering with a modern Dyson so these will make a pleasant change.
Cheers,
Des.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3063.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	37066   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3066.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	37067   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3067.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	37068   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3064.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	37069  
Old 18th Jun 2010, 1:44 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hoover 119 and 612 vacuum cleaners.

I've had a 119 for many years and still use it regularly. Parts such as belts and bags can still be had from the smaller 'back street' appliance shops. Hoover have only in very recent times ceased producing beater brushes although these, too, can still be found in the aforementioned local shops with a bit of patience.
Old 20th Jun 2010, 3:54 pm   #3
shaun harris
Tetrode

ive had my 119 for many years and its used almost daily its seen off 2 dysons so far the bag on yours isnt the original one but its a good match tho the other hoover definatly has a none original bag it too should be a brown one i very much doubt that you would be able to get an original one for either machine now but i would suggest that you keep your eyes on ebay for a donor machine with its original bag they turn up quite often and are usually cheap good luck with them and if you want to sell your 119 let me know and ill buy it from you
Old 20th Jun 2010, 4:27 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
I have owned both of these models at some time. As has already been mentioned bags etc. are available from some of the smaller "back street" dealers, if you get stuck I think that we have a dealer not far from us - feel free to PM me.

If the 612 lamp fails, or has failed, don't forget that you will need to replace it with a "rough service" bulb as a standard bulb will not last the vibration from the motor produced in one cleaning session!
I tried to protect a standard bulb in my 612 by some extra foam type padding but this didn't work.
Rough service bulbs can still sometimes be found on the likes of eBay.

Regards
Andrew
Old 20th Jun 2010, 6:48 pm   #5
Line whistle
Hexode

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. Yesterday I replaced the perished mains cable on the 119. It works fine. It seemed a shame to do this but safety comes first.
Andrew, I have sent you a PM.
Cheers,
Des.
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 9:28 pm   #6
saxmaniac
Heptode

I was in the appliance repair trade & recently chucked out a liad of bits for these! sorry!
the 119 type cleaners lasted forever! It was normal practice for people to have a yearly service which involved afull strip down, clean out, replacdement / lubrication of bearings, springs brushes belts etc etc. My mother had one all her life and it was the only cleaner she used!
Old 14th Jul 2010, 12:04 am   #7
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

hi i have had a 612 fo 20 years now recently its bag finaly gave up the ghost it was a grey one not the origional so i decided to try and make one im quite pleased with the results i think every well dressed 612 should have one its made from heavy duty calico dyed brown i then made a stencil of the hoover logo transfered it onto wide masking tape and then proceded to spray numerous coats of gold paint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0474.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	38028   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0475.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	38029   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0476.jpg
Views:	283