UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2010, 6:42 pm   #1
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Shaver sockets?

Are these isolated? I'm trying to find a transformer suitable for use to knock up a 120V supply for a battery set. Need about 15-20mA.

Dave
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 6:47 pm   #2
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Shaver sockets?

Hi Dave,

Quick answer; yes, as far as I know, they all are.

If they're intended for installation in a bathroom, regulations insist on it.

Cheers, Kat
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 7:38 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

They are also designed to saturate and hence reduce the amount of current available under fault or overload conditions. A quick Google search suggests that they are double-wound isolating transformers rated at 20VA. 20VA at 110 volts equates to 180mA, sufficient for your needs.

They are also not cheap - £20-30 - unless you can find a scrap unit from which to extract the transformer.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 8:19 pm   #4
electrogram
Heptode

I have used these occasionally, removed from units bought at car boot sales for £1-2, they usually run very hot, even with no load, some have a device in series with either primary or secondary windings, presumably a thermistor or similar current limiting device but I havn't tried these ones
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 9:10 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

These devices are only intended for intermittant use, on a low duty cycle. So if run at near full load for any length of time will get pretty hot, and may even activate any internal thermal fuses fitted.

Ed
Closed Thread