UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2010, 10:04 pm   #21
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: F&S massager

Quote:
Or is shunt wound impossible for a universal motor
Yes, because of the need on AC to keep the armature and field currents in phase, whereas they would be in quadrature in an ideal resistanceless shunt-wound motor.
Old 20th May 2010, 10:38 pm   #22
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Perhaps this thread should be subtitled (if there were such a thing as a thread subtitle) "everything you wanted to know about motors but were afraid to ask!"
Old 20th May 2010, 11:16 pm   #23
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

It might attract more (furtive) readership with the strictly accurate subtitle "Everything you wanted to know about mechanical massagers but were afraid to ask!"
Old 21st May 2010, 7:14 am   #24
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

The back bearing is self aligning and a bit more oil helped. Carefully tightening the 2 main clamp bolts seems to help and the motor now runs rather more freely. There were springs over the 2 bolts between the body and the back cover. I have now removed these which makes it easier to replace the cover. Can't see what purpose they served.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:17 am   #25
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

The insulation resistance keeps getting better. It's been creeping up and cold it's now better than 100M, the last scale marking on my 500V megger. Several megohms even when hot. It must have been a nasty mixture of dampness in the windings, a bad suppressor cap and graphite grease in all the wrong places.
Old 26th May 2010, 2:12 pm   #26
dominicbeesley
Octode

Hi lads,

Just spotted this thread and reading with interest. I've got a similar one a neighbour brought round. It's got some bits that look almost identical to Jeffrey's (brush screws, handle, attachments). However it is quite different and is marked Germany (and has green and black wires to boot - can anyone date these?)

Here's a few pic.s. I knew there was a reason I wanted to buy some cloth covered flex at the NVCF but couldn't remember why at the time!

Dom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5262483-s.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	36333   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5262484-s.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	36334   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5262489-s.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	36335  
Old 26th May 2010, 3:24 pm   #27
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I won't ask why the neighbour brought it round. Presumably he thinks you collect old electrical stuff and he'd be right

The set of attachments really do look almost identical to mine. The sponge, the rubber ball, rubber cup, spiky thing. The brush caps on yours are top and bottom, they are on the sides of mine. I suppose the makers of the time converged on a standard sort of design.

Thanks for posting the pics.
Closed Thread