UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2007, 7:59 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1975 Roberts Rambler MW/LW 8 transistor radio

Hello,

Probably the most common collectable transistor radio that appears on eBay is the Roberts Rambler. They all sell too, but not for much, unless they're an unusual colour and then one might sell for £20 or more. This is an ideal radio for a newbie radio restorer to start with (my third restoration in fact) as they are simple little sets to take apart and clean up and rarely need no more than a little switch cleaner to get them working again. I have several of them and they all work well so I thought it was about time I did a write up about one.

The first batch of Ramblers built in 1975 had oblong push buttons and large knobs, and then around a year or so later they were updated with round push buttons with chrome caps and smaller knobs but internally they remained much the same. The Rambler continued in production for nine years and was then replaced by the Rambler II in 1984 which had two integrated circuits in place of the 8 silicon transistors in the Rambler.

The Rambler that I've just restored is one of the early models with the oblong push buttons and big knobs and it's in black leather. It's been in my to do pile for over a year as it's dial had been seriously scratched all over with a pen knife and as Roberts no longer stock the dial (nor much else, sad to say) for the Rambler, there it remained. I did put an ad in the parts wanted section on the forum but noone had one. Then a week ago one appeared on the spare parts offered section here and I grabbed it ! The set was complete, it's case was dirty but in good condition, but with deep scratches on one teak end panel and a few light scratches on the grille. The waveband switches (which also switch on the set) were noisy and wouldn't always stay down and the volume pot was also noisy, but essentially the set was working.

These are very easy sets to take apart, take the bottom off, undo two screws which secure two long straps which run down the sides of the case, unclip the two loudspeaker wires and the chassis then lifts out the top. The knobs and three push buttons then pull off, the two dial trims pull off and then the dial lifts off. The handle comes off by removing two spring clips and finally the trims top and bottom of the grille can be carefully prised off. I then cleaned everything with upholstery cleaner and a toothbrush. The replacement dial had a couple of small scratches on it so I polished those out with bakelite polish (Brasso is just as good). The specks of paint missing from the grille I replaced with a black felt tipped pen. I pointed some steam from my kettle at the scratches on one of the end panels and they quickly lifted out - this only took a few seconds. To both teak end panels I then applied some teak oil with fine grade wet and dry paper and finished them off with some Topps scratch polish to darken them slightly. There was loads of dust in this set, especially under the dial and around the OFF/MW/LW switches so I used a small paintbrush to remove all of that. Then a little switch cleaner was squirted into the volume pot and into the ends of the OFF/MW/LW switches and the set was then reassembled and polished with Mr. Sheen. The entire restoration took just 3 hours.

The Rambler is a cute little radio and despite it's diminutive size sounds quite good. It's very sensitive too and picks up everything on MW and LW. The cases on these sets are well put together, the chassis are a bit flimsy but this one has a good quality volume pot and a metal framed loudspeaker. And a PP9 battery lasts for ages !

Howard

PS: My toothbrush is worn out .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RobertsRamblerearlyblack 001.jpg
Views:	1526
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	8674   Click image for larger version

Name:	RobertsRamblerearlyblack 002.jpg
Views:	1565
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	8675  

Last edited by howard; 10th Mar 2007 at 8:16 pm.
Old 11th Mar 2007, 12:34 pm   #2
JoshWard
Octode

Default Re: 1975 Roberts Rambler MW/LW 8 transistor radio

I've always liked the Roberts Rambler, mines the slightly later one with the round buttons. They sound very especially when their size is taken into consideration, mine came complete with it's original box. I haven't done anything to mine other than clean it as it was absolutely filthy. Josh.
Old 12th Mar 2007, 8:23 am   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Howard,
The early Rambler has a metal frame speaker and sounds much better than the later versions that have a nasty plastic one. When I received the round button version from Roberts I complained about the cheap speaker but unfortunately costs were King and it remained. I was informed by the Roberts rep [ Stan, one of the best reps in the trade] that future models would be fitted with 'metal frame speakers' so I guess I was not alone with my complaint..Regards John.
Old 12th Mar 2007, 11:12 am   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello John,

The early Ramblers with oblong buttons (I have three) and metal framed loudspeakers are slightly better sounding than the later ones, but are quite rare as I don't think Roberts built many of them, presumably, as you say, cos they cost too much to build. A model, now over thirty years old, which is well worth collecting.

Howard
Closed Thread