UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2016, 6:52 pm   #1
V-S-F-H-L
Retired Dormant Member

Default Old 'candlestick' telephone

Hello all. I am new to this forum, so let me explain. I have inherited an old telephone and would like to know more about it, and how I should clean it up. I am not electronically minded and have been given a link to your forum by a good friend who is a vintage radio enthusiast. I would not dream of trying to 're-commission' it!
If I have managed to attach some pictures you will see that it does not have a dial, but just a clear plastic disc behind which one's own number would be written, so my guess is that it may be a fairly early model. On the base is embossed an indistinct reference which may (or may not) be 'PO391'.
My father was an auction addict; why he acquired it I do not know, but I remember it being in his shed when I was a teenager (I am now 70) and this would be when it rusted. Any information would be very welcome.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010950a.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	120481   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010951a.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	120482   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010952a.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	120483   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010953a.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	120484   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010954a.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	120485  

Old 22nd Feb 2016, 9:27 pm   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Old 'candlestick' telephone

Looks like a model 150 without dial and looks to be original. On the swivel bracket that holds the microphone (transmitter) you should see some numbers and letters on either side. That will tell us the model, date and manufacturer (of that part as they did get repaired/refurbished by the GPO so the individual components did get mixed up).

It's not much use without a dial and strictly needs a Bellset to go with it although this can be worked around.
Old 22nd Feb 2016, 9:31 pm   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

You'll find the GPO Model number of the telephone, the manufacturer's code letters and year of manufacture stamped on either side of the microphone mounting on top of the column. It is fitted with a 'Transmitter No 22' which will have been fitted after 1929. It is probably a Tele 150 i.e. '150' on the column. But many Tele 150's were converted from No 2's and hence may have '150' plus a '2' stamped out.
Old 6th Mar 2016, 4:29 pm   #4
V-S-F-H-L
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks guys. Sorry for the delay, but the forum had to 'vet' me (understandably). The only mark I can see on the microphone cradle is a letter 'F' stamped upside down (see photo).
In the light of your comments I have looked again at the stamp on the sheet steel base, which could be 'PO 391' (see 2nd photo). It has been roughly painted, making it difficult to read, and I am tempted to try to remove this. The number does not look like '200' though.
Since the microphone is brown Bakelite whilst the speaker is black it does seem that it is not as it left the factory, and a refurb by the PO may well be the answer
Thanks again.
Old 8th Mar 2016, 12:50 pm   #5
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

If it has it, see if it has a number here, it this:

brown Bakelite
I don't think its Bakelite, I think its an older version, like rubber, which turns brown from age.
Like my one, it has a stamp crossed out and new model stamped on when it got refurbished.

Sorry about the dust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	121247  

Last edited by keithinuk; 8th Mar 2016 at 12:59 pm.
Old 8th Mar 2016, 4:01 pm   #6
dagskarlsen
Heptode

If it is rubber, it will have a smell after holding a warm hand on it for a minute or two.

dsk
Old 8th Mar 2016, 4:47 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

It appears to be Ebonite (vulcanised rubber): https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=98996
Old 8th Mar 2016, 9:48 pm   #8
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-S-F-H-L View Post
The only mark I can see on the microphone cradle is a letter 'F' stamped upside down (see photo).
In the light of your comments I have looked again at the stamp on the sheet steel base, which could be 'PO 391' (see 2nd photo). It has been roughly painted, making it difficult to read, and I am tempted to try to remove this. The number does not look like '200' though.
Since the microphone is brown Bakelite whilst the speaker is black it does seem that it is not as it left the factory, and a refurb by the PO may well be the answer
I think you are getting the microphone and receiver (speaker) confused. The 'microphone' (usually reference to as the 'transmitter') is the black Bakelite unit with 'No 22' on the rear. The 'Bell Receiver' is the part which hangs on the 'Switchhook F' which is marked with an 'F'. They originally had a thin jet back ebonite coating which turns brown with age. Check the location at the top of the column behind the transmitter as shown in the photograph in the other posting of a similar telephone for the stamped numbers/letters. They will identify the model number date and manufacturer of the telephone if it is a former GPO one.
Old 25th Mar 2016, 3:53 pm   #9
V-S-F-H-L
Retired Dormant Member

Firstly, apologies for mixing up microphone and receiver. Secondly, it may (or may not) be relevant that I am from Hull, which I believe is the only area still to have its own telephone system. No doubt the Hull Corporation Telephone Department (now Kingston Communications) would source its customer's phones from the same manufacturers as the Post Office, but I guess they may possibly have had different markings.

Thanks to keithinuk for pointing me to the marking on the stem top behind the microphone. Mine was so covered in crud I was not aware it was there, but it some fine wire wool has revealed that it is 'E26', with a line under, then below that '235'. It does seem that the speaker is Ebonite (thanks for the link, AC/HL) and those earlier postings explain the strange channel in that speaker.

Finally, I must stress that I have no intention of trying to bring the phone back into use, but if it could be satisfactorily cleaned up it might make an interesting ornament.
Old 25th Mar 2016, 5:11 pm   #10

Quote:
I must stress that I have no intention of trying to bring the phone back into use
Aw, go on and make it work! These 'phones had a separate 'bell box' containing most of the gubbins, it would be quite easy to tap into a modern 'phone, Argos do quite good ones for less than a fiver.

Old 25th Mar 2016, 5:16 pm   #11
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

John Steed had a mobile version in his car
Old 25th Mar 2016, 6:03 pm   #12
BigClick
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-S-F-H-L View Post
Finally, I must stress that I have no intention of trying to bring the phone back into use, but if it could be satisfactorily cleaned up it might make an interesting ornament.
It was quite popular for the elderly subs app&line techies to make bedside lamps out of non-auto candlestick teles
Old 26th Mar 2016, 1:10 am   #13
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulcharlie View Post
John Steed had a mobile version in his car
I ad a working dashmounted Tele 121 in my car back in the early 1990's - I was then associated with a preserved railway that adopted the '1920's look' so I went the whole hog by using an early Tellular 'premicell' to connect to Vodafone ! I was told it would never work but I proved them wrong! Never got stopped for using the phone when driving - you needed too many hands and it was too far away to reach anyway.
Old 26th Mar 2016, 1:59 pm   #14
ianm
Hexode

Just a small point, picking up on the pictures above, but the receiver should actually hang the other way up in the cradle.

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 26th Mar 2016, 2:58 pm   #15

Quote:
the receiver should actually hang the other way up in the cradle
At least to save dust getting in your ear.

Old 17th Apr 2016, 1:40 am   #16
mawdsjeff
Retired Dormant Member

The candlestick phones that Hull used did not have the markings crossed off and others put in, that was the GPO factories did that! If the owner wants some cordsdone, I make them Thanks Geoff [email removed]

Last edited by AC/HL; 17th Apr 2016 at 1:49 am. Reason: Contact via PM please
Closed Thread