UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2007, 11:46 pm   #1
Mullard
Pentode

Default SSTRAN low power AM transmitter

I received my SSTRAN AMT3000 low power radio transmitter kit yesterday and tonight I have powered it up. It works well, as expected, but I would be interested in the experience of others with setting it up. In particular what sort of voltage readings do you get between T1 and T2 when setting C5? I get about 7 volts when I adjusted for peak value.
The range I get with the aerial just draped across the table does not get clear reception more than 30 or 40 feet away using a modern synthesised receiver and a little less with an older set (e.g. Bush MB60). I am sure that when I set it up carefully and set the modulation depth with a scope, I will get a very acceptable performance, but I would be interested in what others get.
John
Old 30th Nov 2007, 11:51 pm   #2
matthewhouse
Octode

Default Re: SSTRAN low power AM transmitter

Mine covered the whole housing estate when first set up, I had to shorten the aerial wire quite a lot to reduce the range to just the house + garden. I don't think a set voltage is expected between T1 + T2, you just have to adjust it until you get the highest voltage at that particular frequency setting. Also try a different frequency if you haven't already. The aerial will also work a lot better vertical, and connecting the ground wire to earth will greatly improve performance.

Matty
Old 1st Dec 2007, 2:53 pm   #3
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

A recent story from Radio World Newspaper about this transmitter:

"Mann’s Antique Radio Collector Fined for Uncertified AM Transmitters"

www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0102/t.9952.html
Old 1st Dec 2007, 3:07 pm   #4
Station X

Don't get too concerned about it. It happened in the USA, not the UK. It also related to assembled transmitters, not kits. As far as I know the import of low power AM transmitter kits into the UK is not illegal.

So long as as you restrict coverage by using the shortest aerial possible no one is likely to complain about interference and no one will investigate.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Dec 2007, 5:42 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Just a thought anyone tried modulating a signal generator and using that with a small aerial?

David
Old 1st Dec 2007, 6:14 pm   #6
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Just a thought anyone tried modulating a signal generator and using that with a small aerial?

David
Yes,

Works with my Philips PM5324 in the workshop.

I haven't yet tried to see if I can get wider coverage than that. The PM5324 has a maximum 50mV available.

Regards,
Old 1st Dec 2007, 7:10 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post

David
That's how they do it at Radiophile restoration and build contests (or certainly did a few years ago), using an Advance sig gen on maximum output. The range is not great, certainly less than an SSTRAN, but it works well enough within the same smallish room where sets are judged.

The other possible problem is that you may not get it exactly on a 9kHz spacing channel unless it is accurately calibrated and the dial is fine enough to set it correctly. Not a big deal if the band is fairly clear though, but if there are adjacent stations you could have problems with whistles and breakthrough.

If you have a sig gen then try it and see how you get on!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 1st Dec 2007, 8:28 pm   #8
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Not any more - we use a pantry transmitter - design published a couple of years back
Old 1st Dec 2007, 10:29 pm   #9
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post

The other possible problem is that you may not get it exactly on a 9kHz spacing channel unless it is accurately calibrated and the dial is fine enough to set it correctly. Not a big deal if the band is fairly clear though, but if there are adjacent stations you could have problems with whistles and breakthrough.

If you have a sig gen then try it and see how you get on!
In my case the Philips is my transfer standard so I keep it pretty much spot on for calibration.

I don't use an aerial with it as a rule, a test probe sticking out of the output socket give good coverage of the workbench and the test shelf (on FM as well as AM). AS Paul suggests, do try to keep clear of adjacent stations.

Regards,
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 1:40 am   #10
Mullard
Pentode

I don't believe my SSTRAN transmissions 'escape' outside my house and garden but when I have it in a permanent position I will do some tests to check.
John
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 9:31 am   #11
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Mine has about a yard of wire for an aerial, and radiates at least as far as, say, 25 yards to the garden or garage. Not tested it any further than that.
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 2:19 pm   #12
Dynamo
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
Not any more - we use a pantry transmitter - design published a couple of years back
Ok, I guess that I'm showing my ignorance here because nobody else has asked, but what is a pantry transmitter?
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 3:09 pm   #13
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

What does the 'compression' control do on the 3000? I can take a technical answer.
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 6:13 pm   #14
stuie319
Pentode

Hi there,

Compression is reduction of the dynamic range of the input signal. Commercial stations often use a lot of compression to make the sound consistently loud and 'punchy'. Play with the level and make comparisons with other broadcast stations, you'll soon know when it sounds most acceptable.

Regards
Stu
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 10:06 pm   #15
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Compression makes the quiet stuff louder and the louder stuff quieter, so that the level is more consistent regardless of program type. Back when stations broadcast the same thing on FM and AM you could hear the effect of the compression clearly by stitching between them. On AM more compression is used to keep the level up so that it masks the noise and interference from other stations.

With the SSTRAN, adjust until it sounds right to you with the music you listen to on the radios you're using.

I reviewed the unit here http://www.vintage-radio.com/reviews/amt3000.html, At the current dollar rate it's even better value (probably around £45 plus whatever import duties you get charged). For this sort of money it's probably not worth designing your own, unless you want to do so for the challenge.

Paul Stenning
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 10:09 pm   #16
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
Ok, I guess that I'm showing my ignorance here because nobody else has asked, but what is a pantry transmitter?
It's Chas's name for the small low power valve transmitter he built. Why "pantry", I don't know.

Paul Stenning
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 11:41 pm   #17
Steve_P
Dekatron

It's because that is where it sits at home, broadcasting good music for his vintage sets. Until it goes out on the road and he has problems with it!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 12:46 am   #18
Dynamo
Triode

Thanks for enlightening me guys.
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 11:16 am   #19
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Re pantry transmitter,its not i dont think very low power!
Closed Thread