UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2019, 10:37 am   #1
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Raycom Ltd Bench PSU CB524

Does anybody have a circuit diagram for this Bench/Lab type PSU? It is nominally a 0-15 Volt DC, upto 3 Amp, stabilised unit.

Recently got from a car boot sale, after tightening one of the output connectors and the panel mounted mains fuse I find it works, but only goes up to 12 Volts according to its meter. I checked the output voltage with my multi-meter and it was indeed 12 volts. I can see three preset pots inside the rather cramped unit. It has a printed circuit board that is mounted on the rear of the meter and so is not going to be easy to trace the circuit - hence my request.

Thanks.
Old 15th Apr 2019, 1:07 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Raycom Ltd Bench PSU CB524

I had one with a loose output terminal and when I opened it up it was a can of worms.
The feedback line to the sense transistor took the full power. It was only a little transistor but the whole thing had to come apart to find and replace it.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=89688
Old 17th Apr 2019, 11:18 am   #3
SteveCG
Nonode

I have some further information which might help.

Examining again the Power Supply Unit (PSU) in a strong light I realized that the Raycom Ltd label was stuck over another one. This label says Academy-CB. I reckon that Raycom sold this Academy-CB product model CB-524 under its own name. I found a photo on ebay in the completed listings which is identical to the one I have except for the Raycom sticker:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Academy-C...p2047675.l2557

If Raycom sold Citizens Band Radio ( CB ) equipment in the 1980s then this product would make sense as a PSU for people who used CB Radios at home - as distinct from the 12 Volt powered car usage.
Old 17th May 2019, 4:05 pm   #4
SteveCG
Nonode

An update:

I discovered the regulator IC, an MC1723CP, had bad contacts (corroded and pitted) in an IC holder. I removed it and cleaned them and then put it back and the thing failed!

I tried to find a replacement IC at a reasonable price but failed in that too - so the PSU went to one side. Until today that is, when by chance I found that an LM723CN seems to be identical and available at a reasonable price - ebay, China. So I took the plunge and made an order. I know from reading the Forum, that some of these replacements from the Far East can be a waste of money but modifying the circuit for a commonly available LM317 did not seem feasible. I'll update in a few weeks time.
Old 17th May 2019, 4:28 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I don't know hat you call 'reasonable' but RS sell the Texas Instruments version (UA723) at
£2.01 each here :

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/linea...ators/1266368/

or a tube of 25 for £10.20 here :

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/linea...ators/1450100/

(both prices exclusive of VAT).

The '723' is an old and well-known regulator IC. Really a regulator building block kit . There's a reference voltage source, an op-amp and an output transistor in there. You can link it to external transistors to increase the current capacity. You can use it (as you might expect) as a linear regulator, or you can get the op-amp to oscillate and use it as a switching regulator (as DEC and HP did over 45 years ago).
Old 18th May 2019, 11:19 am   #6
SteveCG
Nonode

TonyDuell,

Well, does £1.06 for 5 pcs from China, post paid, sound too good to be true (Maybe)? It just about fits in with the price I paid for the PSU. I don't believe in spending more on attempting to fix a unit (for my own use) than I paid for it (good money after bad) - but I do appreciate that others take a different position.
Old 18th May 2019, 11:28 am   #7
short wave
Pentode

``723 are a common v reg I.C. and can be found in many power supplies
Old 18th May 2019, 2:16 pm   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCG View Post
Well, does £1.06 for 5 pcs from China, post paid, sound too good to be true (Maybe)? It just about fits in with the price I paid for the PSU. I don't believe in spending more on attempting to fix a unit (for my own use) than I paid for it (good money after bad) - but I do appreciate that others take a different position.
I would regard RS as a trustworthy supplier. Many Chinese suppliers are OK but I am told some are not, And if I have to spend hours tracing a fault that turns out to be a new component that is not what it claims to be then I am not happy!

Unlike you, I look at the total cost of the unit, what I paid for the thing originally shipping costs, replacement part costs, etc and compare the total against a new unit. So in this case, I'd be comparing the cost of the defecting PSU + the cost of a 723 against the cost of a new PSU of similar specification (which is likely to be an SMPSU, and thus harder to repair, and thus less desirable to me).
Old 18th May 2019, 4:59 pm   #9
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Is it worth the effort to try what might be dodgy parts to effect a repair. If there is still a problem you will still be unsure. Time and effort is valuable as well. Ignoring any frustration!
Raycom sold mostly amateur radio gear. I imagine back then a CB PSU was a cheap source rather than a custom Yaesu, Kenwood etc.
Rob
Old 20th May 2019, 10:24 am   #10
SteveCG
Nonode

TonyDuell & robinshack,

Having traced most of it (a bit of challenge - not much space), I think the circuit is simple enough that if the 723 does not do the job then I can alter it to get a similar (but not as good) functionality using a LM317.

What you both say is true, but I do have a better (Farnell) psu for more critical use. From the circuit I suspect that the initial low voltage output may have been the result of the previous owner 'tweaking' a pot...
Old 17th Jun 2019, 11:05 am   #11
SteveCG
Nonode

The LM723 order finally turned up.

I fitted one into the IC holder and gently wound the mains voltage up until the unit was just working. This was to minimize any faults taking out the new IC.

I found the unit worked except that the IC holder was one of those cheap ones that does not take lead solder well and that if I gently pressed on pin 6 on the underside of the ic holder with an insulated prod the output voltage went up.

Since because of its cramped construction changing the holder was not really an option, I resoldered all the ic holder pins and really checked that prodding did not produce a voltage change.

According to a DMM the maximum output voltage was about 13 Volts - not the claimed 15 - but 13 seemed quite likely from a study of the LM723's application notes.

The voltage stability under varying load is good.

Finally I reset the analogue meter voltage and current presets to agree with my Fluke DMM. These presets were not the best either - a drop of Servisol 10 helped.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 1:44 pm   #12
Refugee
Dekatron

I would be very tempted to remove the cheap socket and solder the chip directly into the board.
Old 18th Jun 2019, 12:11 pm   #13
Station X

I always use turned pin type IC sockets and have never had any problems.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Jun 2019, 12:45 pm   #14
SteveCG
Nonode

Yes, changing the socket or removing it entirely would indeed be good moves - however the way the pcb was connected to other parts of the psu was such that I could easily have caused other problems with doing either actions. I'll certainly keep an eye on it in operation. As I said before it is not exactly a Lab grade PSU - but looks to be able to do what it was presumably sold for - powering CBs in the 1980s.
Old 18th Jun 2019, 5:05 pm   #15
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I always use turned pin type IC sockets and have never had any problems.
I would agree. Unless there are technical reasons for not using a socket at all (heat disipation, stray capacitance, leakage resistance, all of which apply to things I have repaired),or if a bad connection would cause a lot of other damage I always use a turned pin socket. And I have never had a bad connection on one.

I refuse to use the cheaper formed-contact sockets now. And I have cured several old computers with assorted nasty faults by replacing said cheap sockets with turned pin ones. I do it as a matter of course now, like I'd change 'That capacitor' in a valve radio or amplifier.
Closed Thread