UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2019, 12:36 pm   #1
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

Default SWR using twin feeder and bulbs ?

Just heard that in older days SWR indication of forward and reverse power of a 'ham radio transmitter could be shown, using a length of twin feeder and two torch bulbs. My older books fail to show this device and so I'm not sure, if the twin line has to be terminated, or how the distinction between forward and reverse is effected. Mr goggle not finding it for me. Your thoughts appreciated. Cliff.
Old 16th Apr 2019, 12:57 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: SWR using twin feeder and bulbs ?

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/qst...tober-1947.htm

Any use?

Lawrence.
Old 16th Apr 2019, 1:01 pm   #3
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

SWR (standing wave ratio) tells you about peaks and troughs of voltage or current on the line. Anything which can sense voltage or current can thus be used to detect standing waves. A rough estimate of SWR may then be possible. A properly terminated line will have SWR 1:1 so nothing much to see.
Old 16th Apr 2019, 4:00 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Part of me wonders if you were to try building such a thing these days whether a pair of modern 'high output' LEDs might not be a better, more sensitive indicator than old-fashioned incandescent bulbs?

I've got a homebrew 'Wheatstone Bridge' SWR-indicator here which uses a blue LED as its null indicator, and it works just fine with half a Watt of RF.
Old 16th Apr 2019, 4:23 pm   #5
lesmw0sec
Octode

You can either have a short or an open circuit at the end of the line. What you are trying to achieve is a high SWR. An rf indicator of some sort (a bulb if the power is high enough) will reveal peaks and nulls of energy at wavelenth intervals along the line. While this is practical for VHF and above, you can visualise the length of feeder required to measure 40 M plus!
Old 16th Apr 2019, 4:37 pm   #6
trh01uk
Octode

I was also told by a WWII veteran engineer that it was a routine way to measure frequency in the days when frequency counters were yet to be invented. Just note the position of two peaks (or troughs) then take a ruler and measure the distance to get the wavelength. For open wire lines the velocity factor is near 1, so you can use the normal formula to then get frequency. He told me his lab had a pair of lines all set up ready to go with a bulb pickup - for him it worked well because he was using 50MHz or thereabouts so the wavelength fitted in the room!

Richard
Old 16th Apr 2019, 5:05 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

An elderly Amateur, whose home I used to visit in the sixties, had a large Bungalow with Aerial's terminating on the roof and he used mainly open wire feeders moving a bulb along to "improve" the SWR re his [much modified] and prone to flashovers Heathkit DX100 Transmitter. He explained this was a pre-coax technique but I can't claim to be more knowledgeable than that. I recall that the wire he used wasn't that new or sophisticated at all-maybe fencing gauge [He lived next door to the Corporation Depot and Storage Yard so there could have been a connection]

Dave
Old 16th Apr 2019, 5:10 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by trh01uk View Post
I was also told by a WWII veteran engineer that it was a routine way to measure frequency in the days when frequency counters were yet to be invented.
Richard
Yes, a "Lecher Line" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecher_line

Works well up to UHF, as Randall & Boot discovered when they wanted to measure the frequency of their first Cavity Magnetron during WWII.
Old 16th Apr 2019, 5:40 pm   #9
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

Well done Lawrence ms660. I put some twin-feeder, loop, led's, and a dummy-load together for fig2B and yes it works. I did find that my solid state Tx doesn't like high swr and folded back its power-out but I got just enough, I'm now ready for tomorrow's QSO. Many thanks. Cliff.
Old 16th Apr 2019, 5:46 pm   #10
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

Oops, I should have made clear that my TX folded back its power when I simulated high SWR to light the reverse power LED. Cliff.
Old 16th Apr 2019, 9:17 pm   #11
LeakyGrid
Rest in Peace

In the 1930s and 1940s, before and after the war, my uncle (G3QQ) had an aerial strung between a flag pole and a chimney. It was fed by an open-wire feeder made from wooden dowels and bare copper wire. I now believe this to have been a Zepp, which runs with a high SWR.

From time to time he would hang mains neon bulbs along the feeder, to check the standing wave pattern. I was about 6 or 7 at the time, and could only marvel without understanding.

Roger
Old 17th Apr 2019, 11:11 am   #12
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

The distance between peaks (or troughs) is half a wavelength. You also need to take account of velocity factor, but for an open wire feeder this will be near 1 anyway.
Closed Thread