UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2020, 10:22 am   #1
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Question Marconi phone 4214 Reel to Reel

Hi everyone I'm brand new to this group so thank you for accepting me. I have5 reel to reel decks at home but I have decided to purchase a mechanically faulty reel to reel deck so that I can learn more about how these decks work, I started on an easy one a Marconiphone 4214 also badged as a Ferguson 3224 or Ultra 6214. I know that the FF and RW buttons are gobbed with old grease and I'm in the process of sorting this out, but is the pause button supposed to stay down when depressed because mine does not so if it should then what do I need to do to fix this please. Thank you.
Old 13th Jan 2020, 10:56 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi phone 4214 Reel to Reel

Pause on these is also electronic (solenoid, switch on mic or at rear AUX socket) and perhaps for this reason, the pause key does not lock.
Old 13th Jan 2020, 12:00 pm   #3
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Your Marconiphone 4214 uses the Thorn DB21 2 track, single speed tape deck and the pause key does not latch - you have to hold it down when required.
Old 14th Jan 2020, 8:31 am   #4
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Thanks guys for your responses and help too, very much appreciated. Can you point me in the direction of where I can obtain a belt kit, nothing on eBay at the moment.
Old 21st Jan 2020, 4:46 am   #5
paolo
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
Your Marconiphone 4214 uses the Thorn DB21 2 track, single speed tape deck and the pause key does not latch - you have to hold it down when required.
Sorry for the slight detour but I wasn’t aware of this. Seems like an entirely useless/impractical feature then? Might just as well engage Stop!

Paul
Old 21st Jan 2020, 9:37 am   #6
Andrew2
Nonode

I used to have one of these (the Fergy 3224 0ne) in the late 60's/early 70's and they are an excellent machine once you've sorted out the gunged-up mechanism. The non-latching pause control comes in handy for 'pause control edits'.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 1:03 pm   #7
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo View Post
Quote:
Sorry for the slight detour but I wasn’t aware of this. Seems like an entirely useless/impractical feature then? Might just as well engage Stop!

Paul
Tend to agree slightly Paul but as a previous member says it's good for edits.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 1:05 pm   #8
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
I used to have one of these (the Fergy 3224 0ne) in the late 60's/early 70's and they are an excellent machine once you've sorted out the gunged-up mechanism. The non-latching pause control comes in handy for 'pause control edits'.
This Marconi is a fantastic mono valve machine, now I've got it fully operational again the sound for a 50 year old machine is rich and warm, now on the lookout for a 4 track model.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 1:38 pm   #9
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Have you changed the several Hunts “Moldseal” capacitors on the amplifier printed circuit board?

They will almost certainly be leaky and could damage the ECL86 audio output valve and the audio output transformer.
Old 25th Jan 2020, 10:49 pm   #10
hillmanie
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
I have one where none of the buttons will latch so am about to release the lot (timidly) by pulling out the shaft that passes through all buttons to see how the thing works
TT

Last edited by AC/HL; 26th Jan 2020 at 2:16 am. Reason: Quote fixed
Old 26th Jan 2020, 4:11 pm   #11
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Have you changed the several Hunts “Moldseal” capacitors on the amplifier printed circuit board?

They will almost certainly be leaky and could damage the ECL86 audio output valve and the audio output transformer.
Thanks for the information dazz, i haven't changed them but i will now.
Old 22nd Jul 2020, 2:39 pm   #12
Station X

One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=169239

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread