UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jan 2020, 6:58 pm   #1
Whaam68
Hexode

Default Teac A300

For something different I took pity on this TEAC A300 cassette deck that’s been sat on a shelf for years. I found belts in the right dimensions and after some aggravation having removed the motor plate assembly and the old belt residue which had turned to goo got them fitted no problem. I thought that was almost job done However nothing’s happening when any of the piano keys are pressed. The deck is powered, fuses ok, I connected my 12v dc power supply to the motor thinking it might be toast but it span up fine the belts were moving the spigot things that the cassette sits on. I have the service manual but don’t find it all that useful. There is a control daughter board on the back of the mechanism which I’ve unscrewed to get access the components being on the bottom. There are voltages on the board but without knowing what I’m looking for I’m a bit stumped as to how to proceed. Does anyone with experience with cassette decks have any suggestions about what to focus on?
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BA1F9055-A913-4CC8-A170-D0FBF3A4F2D2.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	196947   Click image for larger version

Name:	10B6AAB4-C0BC-4404-8EA5-804E2063AABC.jpeg
Views:	517
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	196948   Click image for larger version

Name:	D18E4B78-083A-47EA-8A54-79C117B35EC7.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	196949  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 8:16 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Teac A300

Hi Mike,

I am not experienced on cassette desks or Teac (well I do have a Teac X-3 R2R) so cannot offer anything useful. As you say the Service manual is not helpful at all in relation to motor control.

Presumably somewhere there should be a proper/full schematic that also shows the control/motor circuitry.

Hopefully someone on the forum knows this model or a similar model and can offer some useful information.

David
Old 12th Jan 2020, 8:44 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

This may or may not be helpful. If you search for "Teac X-3 play switch motor failure fix" on "tapeheads.net", there is someone talking about a common failure of the pause and/or the play switch on model X-3 (assume my R2R) , X-300 (I assume your cassette deck) & 22-2 decks.

They detail a relay modification, I think when replacement switch is not available.

I am not suggesting you need to do the modification but the accompanying mod drawing (on tapeheads) that shows some pins outs of the control board may possibly be of a little help, particularly if a schematic could be located for the A-300
Old 12th Jan 2020, 8:52 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Just spotted that the full schematic is in the Parts List on hifiengine, that should help a lot.
Old 12th Jan 2020, 8:53 pm   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

As there are 3 switches on the top of the mech, I assume that one of them is a tape in sensing switch - so you need a tape in there, or operate the switch by hand, to switch on the motor. Don't know this machine but it is a fairly common thing on most of the better machines.
Old 12th Jan 2020, 10:11 pm   #6
Whaam68
Hexode

Hi Guys
Thanks ....I did try it with a tape loaded but no joy. I’ll have a read around the suggested links. As an aside Not sure this deck is high end the front that looks metal is plastic. The meters look nice though. I can’t say I’m enjoying working on cassette decks....they seem to be designed to be difficult to service! Oh well I’m learning as I go.
Thx
Old 12th Jan 2020, 10:45 pm   #7
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
model X-3 (assume my R2R) , X-300 (I assume your cassette deck) & 22-2 decks.
Those are all reel to reel - unfortunately they won't share anything in common with the A300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaam68 View Post
Not sure this deck is high end the front that looks metal is plastic.
It's a 3 head deck, so not exactly low end! It'll be worth persevering with.

Sorry I can't help more, my Teac decks are a V580, W525R and W990RX, the only work I've needed done was a new capstan motor in the W770RX - which I wussed out on and had replaced by a service company The 580 and 525 I bought new, while the 990 was a deck I drooled over as a teenager, then found on Trademe for $20 in the mid 00s.
Old 12th Jan 2020, 10:57 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
This may or may not be helpful. If you search for "Teac X-3 play switch motor failure fix" on "tapeheads.net", there is someone talking about a common failure of the pause and/or the play switch on model X-3 (assume my R2R) , X-300 (I assume your cassette deck) & 22-2 decks.

They detail a relay modification, I think when replacement switch is not available.

I am not suggesting you need to do the modification but the accompanying mod drawing (on tapeheads) that shows some pins outs of the control board may possibly be of a little help, particularly if a schematic could be located for the A-300
Apologies, the above I think is totally erroneous, in my searches I got mixed up between A300 and X300, the schematic reference in the parts list is correct information.
Old 12th Jan 2020, 11:21 pm   #9
Whaam68
Hexode

Yep no worries re persevering ....I’m more likely to fish something out of the skip than chuck it in. Worst case is banishment to the loft! I’ll try & get my head round the schematic but sadly I’m not that up on some of the theory so it’s a slow process. I’ll start with the motor control board.
Mike
Closed Thread