UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2013, 9:48 am   #1
Teasmade
Retired Dormant Member

Default A problem with my D25 Goblin Teasmade. Please help!

I have recently acquired my first teasmade, it's a lovely d25c and after a thorough clean is looking ravishing! Initially when I turned the alarm on the kettle switching on to heat up was blowing the power in my whole house but after a night drying (must have gotten a bit of water in the connection while cleaning) its all working fine... Almost.

The problem is this when the water boils the alarm doesn't sound and the lights don't go on. I believe the cause is related to the kettle not fully emptying into the teapot. It works as it should but when it gets to 5-8cm from the bottom it doesn't go in the teapot anymore. So the weight of the kettle is too great to tip the balance platform and it just keeps heating and smoking a little.

Could anyone advise me as to how I might rectify this issue or shed greater light on the cause?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Kindest regards
Deborah
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:48 am   #2
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Default Re: A problem with my d25 Goblin Teasmade. Please help!

Hi Deborah, a couple of thoughts:-

a) are you fully filling the kettle
b) is the kettle 'siphoning' tube clean and smooth inside

Please bear in mind it is a long time since I had one of these marvellous appliances!

Good Luck - Mike
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:07 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

All Teasmades, from the beautiful Art Deco models to the boxy late-60s / 70s ones, work on the same principle.

What should happen is that as the water begins to boil, steam builds up above the water, and the pressure forces the water up the exit pipe -- which extends nearly to the bottom of the kettle; once the water level drops bellow the pipe, the steam can escape directly -- into the teapot and over the waiting teabag. Either you have a steam leak from the kettle lid, or the pipe is damaged inside the kettle. (There's a third possibility that would cause your symptoms, but you have already ruled this out. You said it carries on heating; "smoking a little" sounds worrying but could be nothing more than steam escaping. So that means, it's not the alarm contacts opening prematurely.)

So, begin by checking the integrity of the kettle lid seal and the exit pipe, and report back here. If you can post a link to a video of the Teasmade operating (ideally on a cold morning, so the steam is very visible), so much the better.
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:16 pm   #4
Teasmade
Retired Dormant Member

Red face Re: A problem with my d25 Goblin Teasmade. Please help!

Thanks so much for getting back to me mike! I've tried filling the kettle up quite close to the top and then a couple of inches lower and a couple of places in between. Lots of trial and error. It seems to stop at the same level each time about 4cm from the bottom. This is also the point where the spout which carries the water to the teapot and right at the bottom of the heating element.

The tube seems clear I've blown through it and wiggled a toothpick around inside.

I'm not sure whether or not its meant to leave that amount of water in the bottom and the issue is around the balance stand. I can press on the kettle hand a bit and get it to tip once its emptied what it does into the teapot. The alarm and light go on as they should but as soon as ilet go it goes back in place and the alarm stops.

So confused....
Old 22nd May 2013, 2:10 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

The kettle will always empty to the bottom of the spout and stay there. Once the steam doesn't have to displace the water anymore, it can just take the direct route. Of course, it should never actually get this far, because the kettle platform should have rocked back up before this happens.

If the amount of water remaining in the kettle is not too much (which would point to a hole in the side of the spout letting steam out while there is still too much water present), then maybe the spring in the kettle platform switch has become weak and altered the tripping point to "lighter than the kettle will ever be in practice". Or, if there are two springs in this model, it's possible that one of them has come adrift.
Old 22nd May 2013, 2:37 pm   #6
Teasmade
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks so much ajs. I will fiddle around with the empty kettle on there to see if it will stay in the rocked back position I think you could be onto something with the spring. I can't wait to investigate in the morning. I so appreciate the advice it's just so frustrating when you get stuck and don't know what to try next.

Deb
Old 23rd May 2013, 8:28 am   #7
Teasmade
Retired Dormant Member

I can home from uni today and decided to open up the base of my teasmade to see if this offered any indication of the cause behind my troubles....

Low and behold and I found a spring rolling around in the base.
I'm sure this is meant to provide the resistance for my platform I just need to sort out exactly where it goes...I'll attach a photo of the spring in the position I think it should be.

When I get it into place and turn the teasmade over it seems to dislodge and fall out sometimes which explains how it came out in the first place. (I had the item shipped to my house) however if I depress the platform with my hand while turning it there isn't a problem so I'm hoping that's an indication that the placement is right! Conformation either way would be fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	80121  
Old 24th May 2013, 12:57 pm   #8
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Debra, just to clarify your observation from the above #4 post:-

"It seems to stop at the same level each time about 4cm from the bottom. This is also the point where the spout which carries the water to the teapot and right at the bottom of the heating element."

This is a lttle unclear and I think perhap slightly incorrect.

a) it should always stop syphoning at the same point, which leaves the water level just below the bottom of the tube going to the teapot.

b) this water level will be at some point *above* the *top* of the heating element

Thus if the kettle is filled with too little cold water, once boiled there may be insufficient water to properly activate the mechanisms/balance sensing the teasmade has boiled.

Good Luck - Mike
Old 24th May 2013, 1:16 pm   #9
Teasmade
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your reply mike. The water is always at the same level remaining in the kettle some think that's all working as it should. With the replacement of the spring the alarm is being triggered correctly. I am a little more water is being left in the kettle for the simple fact that the balance platform is now quite sensitive and the force of boiling sets off the alarm only a couple of seconds after the teapot starts being filled. It's more than enough water for my tea none the less so I'm not too worried.

The persistent whirring of the rotor is less soothing then I'd hoped think I will have to take the clock out and clean it unfortunately.

Deb
Old 25th May 2013, 10:04 am   #10
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Deborah,

how about posting some photos of the Teasmade please.

As you are in Australia, do you have to use it upside down?

Regards - Mike
Old 25th May 2013, 1:32 pm   #11
julie_m
Dekatron

Glad you got it sorted. There isn't a lot to go wrong with a Teasmade, really.

I should get my Teasmade out again and fire it up .....
Old 28th May 2013, 4:32 am   #12
Teasmade
Retired Dormant Member

Uploading some pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Views:	582
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	80265   Click image for larger version

Views:	638
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	80266  
Old 28th May 2013, 11:19 am   #13
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Deborah - thanks for the pictures, that is the model I had.
Regards - Mike
Old 29th May 2013, 11:10 am   #14
camtechman
Nonode

Deborah,

That's a gorgeous machine.....(envy)

Tony
Old 29th May 2013, 1:52 pm   #15
matthewhouse
Octode

Thats a really smart Teasmade, I hope you get the clock quietened down. I won't look at it too much or I'll end up buying one!
Old 29th May 2013, 4:12 pm   #16
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi Deb,

The motor noise will really need a strip, clean and lubricate. The D25 is probably one of the best Teasmades as they can always be sorted.

There is usually a very slight motor and first gear noise as later D25's have a casing around the motor to quieten this.
None of this should be enough to be very noticeable.
Old 29th May 2013, 4:30 pm   #17
paulsherwin

You can probably improve the noise a lot by lubricating all visible bearings with a single drop of light machine oil (sewing machine oil is best, but you can also use household oil such as 3-in-1). Don't be tempted to spray WD40 everywhere as it won't lubricate properly and will make a mess. Wipe off any surplus with a rag.

A complete stripdown as suggested by Mike is a better solution, but is a bit daunting for someone who doesn't know their way around electric clocks.
Old 30th May 2013, 11:58 pm   #18
Teasmade
Retired Dormant Member

It snores so loudly I will probably go for the full clean. Luckily I found amazing walk through for removing and cleaning the clock online so that should help a little. I've not had much to do with clock I'll admit but I was head of my science club in high school so the wiring and soldering isn't daunting at least.

I've read about the prospect of putting an 8k resistor in series with the clock to quieten it. Would this be a suitable option also?

To all those drooling over my Teasmade.... Isn't he gorgeous?!! It took nearly too years of checking eBay and gumtree everyday to get it though. Quantities of Teasmades down under vary greatly to England's vast shares unfortunately.
Old 31st May 2013, 8:51 am   #19
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

The series resistor does work up to a point; the later models actually have this as standard.
Worth a try if you don't want to to a complete strip and clean, but sooner or later ...

I do have complete D25 clock servicing instructions which I wrote; it's a Word document with attached pictures but too large to attach here - PM me with your email address if you would like it.
Old 2nd Jun 2013, 12:42 am   #20
Teasmade
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
You can probably improve the noise a lot by lubricating all visible bearings
At the risk of sounding like the perfect candidate for a remake of legally blonde...
These bearings you speak of, what do they look like? Also when you say visible is that after I take the clock apart of should they be visible now?
Closed Thread