UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2015, 4:55 pm   #1
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Miele De luxe S220 cleaner

Hi,

If this isn't quite "vintage" then would the moderators put it where it ought to go, please?

I have one of these vacuum cleaners which I think needs new brushes as it chucks out sparks and doesn't run at full speed when powered up, but the cable-rewind is also faulty. I don't want to waste money on new brushes (they are currently down to about a quarter of an inch and new ones seem to be quite expensive) unless I can also get the cable-rewind working, too. Does anyone have any ideas of how this might be achieved? The cable-reel has two take-up sections, one for the cable and another for a spiral spring. This spring has another end connection onto a second "bobbin". As this was all adrift when I dismantled the cleaner, I have no idea of how it is supposed to be connected. Any help would be appreciated (or even advice to not bother with a repair!).

TIA, Colin.
Old 14th Mar 2015, 5:42 pm   #2
8 Tracker
Hexode

Default Re: Miele De luxe S220 cleaner

Do beware! Many vac motors fail by having one or more comm segments go short. This leads to lots of sparks, low speed and excessive current consumption. Check first to see if the brushes are in firm contact with the comm and measure current if you can. No point spending on new brushes if the motor is dying.

Mark.
Old 14th Mar 2015, 6:39 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Miele make a point about having spares available for about 20 years.

A photo of the cable reel might help.

When brushes get low, the com can get burned and copper smeared across to make a short between adjacent segments. If mild, the com can be undercut to cleat the short, and then the surface turned and polished. Even if you can't dismantle the motor, a lot can still be done.

Good quality stuff is often worth fixing.

David
Old 14th Mar 2015, 9:30 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi gents, I was recently given an expensive twin motor industrial vac to fix. Problem as described above in that the brushes were only just touching the com, result , Catherine wheel effect.
Examination showed that the brushes were wedged tight in the brush boxes and had to be driven out in pieces. Looks like the tolerance between brush box and brush was way too tight as there was virtually a full length brush in the box.
I'm presently trying to source some new brushes, I believe the brush box assemblies are available at a high price but I will try to avoid that route if possible.

Interestingly the starting surge on 2 motors may be too large for a 13A fuse, so a small PCB with relay is fitted to kick in the second motor after about a second.

Ed
Old 14th Mar 2015, 9:56 pm   #5
paulsherwin

If you can't fix the cable reel mech you could always mount a couple of hooks on the outside and store the cable wrapped around those. Many cleaners do that anyway.
Old 21st Mar 2015, 3:35 pm   #6
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Colin, you do not advise where in London you are, but regarding Vacuum Cleaners, I have found Jack's Repair Centre in South Harrow, most useful for advice, repair and spares, including second hand ones.

Regards - Mike
Old 21st Mar 2015, 3:54 pm   #7
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Hi Mike,
I am in South-West London, close to Wimbledon (we can hear the announcements when Wimbledon Fortnight is on). The cleaner is in bits at the moment, but I did take photos as I removed screws, etc. I have now purchased a much newer Miele cleaner, so while it might be nice to get this old faithful going again, it isn't essential. There were other issues with it, such as some kind of ceramic resistor having the ceramic former broken and covers held on with tape because locating-pegs had broken off, so I might just bid it a fond farewell. Thanks for the suggestion of Jack's, though; our local vacuum-cleaner shop has just recently closed down and it was about the only place I knew to get dustbags from!
Colin.
Closed Thread