UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2014, 3:40 pm   #1
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Weller PU81 failure

Unfortunately, my Weller PU81 soldering station has failed. I was doung a routing job on an amp (which was powered off and unplugged) when I touched the positive rail of the circuit and a discharge from the soothing capacitors arced across to the iron tip.

For some reason my solder station is now inoperative- no LEd light and no heat. I'm a bit puzzled since the tip of the iron is connected directly to earth and to electical earth at the plug. It does not appear to connect to the control circuit in any way. There is no short within the iron itelf so no way for the charge to have done any harm, yet it seems to have done.

The fuse is OK, I am getting voltage to the transformer and 25v out of the transformer to the control board. I can't find any obvious fault at this time, but clearly something has failed.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Do I need a new board or is this repairable?

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 17th Sep 2014 at 3:49 pm.
Old 17th Sep 2014, 3:46 pm   #2
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Re: Weller PU81 failure

Ok, this is weird. I put it all back together again and its now working. Did absolutely nothing other than checked voltages and for loose connectors, but again, nothing obvious.

I'm glad its working again though! It represents a considerable investment!
Closed Thread