UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2019, 3:35 pm   #21
greg_simons
Octode

Default Re: Fine nosed pliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulgingCap View Post
Mr Bungle: It hurts even more when someone else knackers them for you !
A machine mechanic in China grabbed a pair of Lindstrom full flush cutters whilst my head was turned, then smiled sweetly when he returned them. 35 years later they still have a large notch in them where he cut a steel locking wire off a bolt head. They are specified as '1mm unplated copper, max'.
BC
Indeed it does hurt when your pride and joy tools are damaged by others, an almost ex work colleague broke my Lindstrom side cutters, I could've punched him on the nose for it but that he's been a good mate for years. they were replaced by a very nice pair of tsunoda cutters sold to me by someone on this forum.
Greg.
Old 13th May 2019, 3:54 pm   #22
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeseven View Post
My Dad used to say, you should always buy the best you can afford, and if at all possible just buy the best anyway, then take great care of it.
I say 'I am not rich enough to buy cheap tools'

Like you, I try to buy the best (even when it is overkill for what I really need). But good tools last (if not misused), and they do the job. As a friend of mine pointed out (sorry, a bit off-topic) if a cheap watch case opener slips and scratches the back of the watch you have lost more money than buying, say, a genuine Jaxa case opener (which won't slip)

I almost never lend my tools either. Only to a couple of close friends who (a) know how to use tools properly and (b) would replace them with identical ones (same brand, etc) if they did damage them.

Now why do I fancy buying Lindstrom pliers and cutters
Old 15th May 2019, 8:05 pm   #23
pmmunro
Octode

I still have a pair each of Lindstrom pliers (7890) and cutters (7191) which my then boss, probably the best I ever knew, allowed me to keep as a sort of leaving present over 30 years ago. Both of these are in excellent condition and box jointed but I don't want to draw the insulation back to see how the joint was formed in case the insulation becomes loose.

This web site https://www.knipex.com/en/pliers-abc...yle-of-joints/ reviews joint types and gives a very brief description of the box joint. However, the rest of the website will probably be quite fascinating to those who share my style of wierdness.

My philosophy is that a manufacturer who is willing to share such a wealth of information with customers is proud of a decent product. It's similar to tradesmen who like to show the client what they're doing. The ones who "don't like to be watched" are the ones which leave questionable, or worse, work in my experience.

PMM
Closed Thread