UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2018, 11:01 pm   #21
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: Soldering Stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
550 is a bit high. 370 tops.
YEP- BUT think on- normal solder is 370 tops, but for radio blokes with higher O/P stages, there's a need for an iron to melt "higher temp solder" (AKA plumbing solder) , which works with "UP TO " 50 Watts coming out of aerial on TX ( Clansman 353 on band 1 comes to mind, where the TX coils are soldered in place with plumbing type solder). I'd suspect that on lower powered rigs, coil soldered problems occur if "normal " solder is used.
Old 19th Jan 2018, 11:54 pm   #22
MrBungle
Dekatron

That's not quite the case. If you are using plumbing solder then you're only looking at 250 degrees or so which is well within the ability of a standard iron.

If you look at the clasman stuff you'll find it's probably normal 63/37 alloy or at best silver solder. The problem is you need a ridiculously high powered iron due to the thermal mass of the coils and transmission lines, not the desired tip temperature. The moment you touch the terminals the iron's heat gets dragged out and the iron can't replace it quick enough. Prime example; I disassembled a knackered Racal TUAAM with a 25W Antex firestick - ugh nightmare. Many years ago I had to put such things together and we used Pace irons.

Starting at 550 degrees doesn't really solve that problem. Higher power iron with better temperature control is unconditionally always the answer.

If the iron gets too cold then you will hold it on the joint and damage something. If the iron gets too hot then you'll damage something before you have completed the joint.

If you look at the Weller WXP120 for example, it's a 120W iron with temperature control. That will keep 370 and quite happily work its way through some nasty jobs. Never gets too hot, never gets too cold. The cheap Chinese T12's as mentioned earlier in this thread are amazing in this respect as you get a roughly 50W iron with decent temperature control for pocket money and they eat every job up instantly. They are quite frankly, for the money, amazing.
Old 25th Jan 2018, 11:52 pm   #23
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
"550 is a bit high" - yes, agreed. But Oldcodger did say: "it heats up to 550c", which might imply that the temperature is adjustable to that figure as a maximum.

Whatever, it sounds like a useful tool to me since it is independent of the mains supply. So perhaps a visit to my local Lidl tomorrow (Jan. 18th.) is due . . .

Al.
Lidyl ad said "heats up to ", so not only is it suitable for lead/ non-lead solder, but plumbing solder, which might need to be used in higher power tx circuits. As an example- Clansman 353 TX coils were soldered with plumbing solder as the coils got HOT on 50w .
Old 27th May 2018, 8:13 pm   #24
eric8650
Pentode

Hi All

My wife came home from shopping at ALDI this morning. She walked into my workshop with a present for me. A WORTKZONE digital soldering station for which she paid a paultry £19.99.

On opening up and using this afternoon it seems quite good for the money. Comes with 2 small reels of solder and 2 spare bits.

Has anybody else had one of these? I think for twenty quid pretty good value even if it only has a lifetime of the bits.

Regards

Dave
Old 27th May 2018, 9:01 pm   #25
Mooly
Octode

That does sound good value and the beauty of Aldi/Lidl stuff is the 3yr warranty.

I'm guessing its this one. There are more images if you click the arrows:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-digi...83184201878400
Old 28th May 2018, 8:41 am   #26
Station X

I suggest reading this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=146932

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th May 2018, 8:45 am   #27
Mooly
Octode

That is interesting, thanks. I'll stick with my old but trusty Philips soldering station I think.
Old 28th May 2018, 10:58 am   #28
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

My experience of Chinese solder stations is not good. I was given a new Maplin jobbie with a flash LCD display. OK, it worked, for about six months, and then the element went. The replacement iron lasted a day. this, quoth he, and went back to his Weller(s).
Closed Thread