UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Old 23rd Nov 2023, 7:25 am   #1
terrybull
Octode

Default Vinyl ‘cloth’ restoration

I have in recent months acquired a number of vintage electric sewing machines. A couple of them have hard covers that fit over and clip to the base. They have a wooden carcass with a cream vinyl covering exactly like Dansette (and other) record players. They have numerous scratches and scuffs although remain sound. Would some sort of paint/dye be the best way to restore them. Any advice please.
terrybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2023, 9:29 am   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Vinyl ‘cloth’ restoration

Suitably coloured leather restorer. Applied by rubbing in with a circular motion. It's a bit like acrylic paint/liquid PVC that remains slightly supple. Available in dozens of colours - have a look on ebay.
vidjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2023, 10:47 am   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I had two red Roberts radios - an R300 and RT1, which were in a poor state. They were non-workers given to me which I restored. As they cost nothing, thee was a bit of headroom cost-wise to pimp them up cosmetically, so I used some leather restorer ('leather repair paint') from the 'Furniture Clinic' typically used for leather car upholstery, but also for sofas, handbags etc. The smallest amount is 50 ml, which goes a long way. 50ml = 1.75 fluid ounces, 1.6 imperial tablespoons. (The picture at the link is of a much larger bottle).

They do quite a range of colours:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332221917...TWPch8QvAAAAAA

No doubt there are scores of other similar offerings from other outfits.

The pics aren't brilliant and I didn't take 'before' pics, but I was very pleased with the end result.

Pic 1: RT1.
Pic 2 R300.

Hope that might help a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts RT1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	288605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts R300.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	288606  
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2023, 11:12 am   #4
terrybull
Octode

Thanks for the information. Those radios look really nice David.
terrybull is offline   Reply With Quote