UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 19th Jan 2021, 7:21 pm   #1
kirstyd
Heptode

Default Roberts R 505

Hi All
This Roberts had a couple of bad capacitors and scratchy pots all now sorted but there seems to be a problem with its speaker ever so slight distortion [I have tried another speaker and its fine with that] i thought at first the problem could have been caused by all the crud and dirt that had managed to work its way through the speaker grill over the years [bit of old digestives and god knows what else] but after cleaning everything and reassembling the radio the distortion is still there .The speaker is a 5 by 3 elliptical 4 ohm .can anyone tell me if its possible to get a replacement or something that would do the job .I have seen a speaker that's the correct size for sale but its 8 ohms would that do ?.I have to say that when connected to a decent size speaker the sound is very good .Shame there isn't room for something bigger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210116_142640.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	224957   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210116_142713.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	224958   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210116_142743.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	224959  
kirstyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2021, 11:36 am   #2
pip5678
Tetrode

Default Re: roberts R 505

I have a Roberts R505 in the to do pile, the AF and speaker work fine but there is an FM tuning fault. PM me if you think you can persuade me into breaking the set up to sell the speaker.
pip5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2021, 4:42 pm   #3
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: Roberts R 505

Does the existing speaker cone move freely without making a scratching or scrapping noise?
It is also worth trying the speaker the other way up, over time the coil sags and rubs on the magnet, if that doesn't work you will need to use your powers of persuasion on pip5678.
Good luck
Old 20th Jan 2021, 6:07 pm   #4
kirstyd
Heptode

Default Re: Roberts R 505

since my last post i have dismantled the radio and removed the speaker .When running with the speaker out of the cabinet it seems to be ok .i can only guess that when clamped down in its cabinet the speaker frame is being pulled out of shape .I applied slight pressure to the corners of the speaker while it was on and sure enough it distorted .I think experiments with washers may cure the problem .The speaker is made from little more than tin and can be twisted out of shape easily .At least a solution seem to be in sight. Thanks for your input guys
kirstyd is offline   Reply With Quote