UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2020, 10:49 pm   #1
fuzzyjonclay
Diode

Default Penny Record Eater - warped sound

Hello everyone

I have a Penny Record Eater (as shown in the attachments) and the sound seems to be quite warped. I've opened up the machine and can't quite work out what I need to tighten / loosen to make it work OK.

If I start the mechanism without a record inserted, the "turntable" seems to spin at a constant speed. However, once I insert a record the sound becomes warped and draggy, suggesting that the speed of the turntable is alternating.

I was wondering if anyone else owns one of these machines (OK, toys!) and has successfully fixed a similar problem.

Many thanks
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Penny.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	199662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Penny.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	199663  
Old 25th Feb 2020, 11:36 am   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Penny Record Eater - warped sound

Hi,
The turntable is belt driven on these, and it may well have become slack with age. The belt was snapped on the one I picked up for a couple of euros, and when replaced, it worked OK.
I found another one of a different design, but that one had suffered battery rot, so not worth restoring.
Cheers, Pete.