UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2020, 10:46 am   #1
RufKutz
Triode

Default Just got a Rogers LS5/8 system

Hi everyone,

I just took delivery of a pair of Rogers LS5/8 speakers together with Quad AM8/16 amplifiers. They came from BBC Wales.

They don't have any cables or anything - I've got power cables sorted but don't have any signal cables. There are 5-pin xlr connectors and I wondered if anybody knew the pinouts? Is it just straight all the way?

I have a lot more beginnner questions too BTW! Any other LS5/8 owners out there? I sent a message to Mark Hennessy but I think he probs gets a LOT of this kind of attention already!

Cheers everyone,

Simon
Old 18th Feb 2020, 11:56 am   #2
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Just got a Rogers LS5/8 system

I've just checked, and it arrived only 8 minutes before you posted here. So you're obviously keen to hear what you've bought

Yes, it's 1-to-1. Though you only need to connect 4 out of the 5 pins. Pin 1 is not used for anything, so can be ignored.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 18th Feb 2020, 11:56 am   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

As far as I remember, it's pin-to-pin, with the screen on Pin 1. I balanced on these back in the day, and a darned good tool they were - told you what you needed to know. A little overbearing for domestic use, maybe, but an excellent speaker.
Old 18th Feb 2020, 12:11 pm   #4
RufKutz
Triode

wow thanks for the quick and clear update guys! Good to hear from you Mark

time to build some cables - I'm sure I'll be back soon enough with updates / questions!

Cheers
Old 18th Feb 2020, 1:09 pm   #5
mole42uk
Nonode

If you need any help with the AM8/16s just shout. I have rebuilt a number of them..

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 19th Feb 2020, 7:19 am   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

"I just took delivery of a pair of Rogers LS5/8 speakers together with Quad AM8/16 amplifiers. They came from BBC Wales. " Ouch, no nights out for a while then. Always wondered who bought these speakers from these auctions, had visions of rich Japanese scooping them up as was under the impression any speaker ( or ashtray, chair or rubbish bin) with BBC in the title/spiel will fetch at least double.

Hope your enjoying them anyroad, Andy.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 9:36 pm   #7
RufKutz
Triode

Thanks Richard, I reckon I'll be in touch once I've got everything powered up...

all the cables & connectors are ordered, hopefully will be powering up Friday.

One question I have regards the gain pot on the back of the quad amps... whereabouts should these be set to assuming I'm sending 0dB into the balanced inputs I don't want to blow everything up immediately!

Cheers
Old 20th Feb 2020, 12:38 pm   #8
gramofiend
Pentode

I would suggest that you start low with the controls almost fully anti- clockwise.
It does beg the question what your means of feeding these is? Preampliers such as quad etc will just about do it as these thing are designed to run off BBC consoles etc which fed out at a nominal 0db ie .775v into 600 ohm. My system uses monitor and output unit by Glensound (DK2/21) but something like the Quad 44 has outputs which will satisfy most things.

I hope you have music loving neighbours or perhaps ones that are totally deaf!

Enjoy
Mike
Old 20th Feb 2020, 1:33 pm   #9
Bardley
Diode

I've had this setup for a while now, and waiting for a reply from Dada Electronics for a service parts quote for the 8/16 version of the Quad 405's. I only need the basic internals, and not the binding posts etc. that they supply..
Hopefully they'll get back to me soon.

Handy link if you need it:

http://www.dadaelectronics.eu/shop/quad-upgrade-kits

The service manuals are available in the Download section once you register.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 4:11 pm   #10
RufKutz
Triode

Mike / gramofiend - thanks for the reply; I will certainly start with the gains wound fully anticlockwise.

To answer your question they are in my recording studio far away from any neighbours and the signal will come directly from my studio audio interface (RME Fireface UFX II) balanced outputs. I can limit the signal going into the amplifiers to 0dB no problem at all but I would like to know how much I can wind those pots without blowing everything up...!

Thanks again everyone!
Old 21st Feb 2020, 12:45 pm   #11
gramofiend
Pentode

These do go loud, very loud but not as loud as heavy metal pop music and bleeding eardrums conditions. When fettled correctly, what you put in at the microphone with the correct technique comes out of the loudspeaker loud enough for you to hear what is wrong with it if it doesnt sound right! A former colleague of mine had a pair of these married to an emt 950 turntable working on composer of the week for Radio 3 until recently. Some old technology did survive well into the high digital era! Come to think of it I wonder where the SSL 44 channel desk went. I stopped using it in 2000 when I was put out to grass!!
You may like to take the speaker baffle out and turn the bass speaker through 180 degrees. Although this is a polypropolene unit gravity can have an effect on it and as it is partnered with an AM16 quad 405 it comes from the time before 1992. If memory serves me correctly these were all delivered between1979 and 1989 during which period the building, which is soon to be demolished, was totally refurbished CTA, Studios and Radio and TV output suites.
A quick note if you don't know. To remove the speaker baffle you require to turn the cabinet upside down to reveal the two screws which sequre the decorative front. It is then you can remove that cover which is retained by velcro all the way round.

enjoy them, I think they are nice to listen to!

Mike
Old 21st Feb 2020, 4:14 pm   #12
RufKutz
Triode

Wow thanks for the memories Mike, there was also an EMT turntable offered up at the same auction I got this system from, sadly I didn't win the lottery in time to snag that as well!
Old 24th Feb 2020, 11:09 am   #13
RufKutz
Triode

OK everyone today is the day... got all the bits, about to head in to the studio to make the cables and plug everything in... fingers crossed!
Old 25th Feb 2020, 1:23 pm   #14
RufKutz
Triode

wow this sound is GOOD! Loud and clear! Only got one working full range right now but both amps are fine and it's just the tweeter that isn't working on one of them but I think it's gonna be a wiring thing, fortunately there's a pro audio company next to my studio so I'll have a look with their help.

I still didn't have the balls to wind the gain all the way up but I got them VERY . loud before bottling it...
Old 25th Feb 2020, 11:27 pm   #15
BristolHoxa
Triode

Hi - I have tweeter diaphragms newly ordered from HK if you need any, at what it cost me but it'll be quicker. I use these in my studio too Richard.
Old 26th Feb 2020, 2:18 pm   #16
RufKutz
Triode

ah Richard I should have read your post earlier! The tweeter is faulty; I already pulled the trigger on a replacement from Falcon Audio - at least it'll be here quickly, can't wait to hear the pair together.

Do you have your set on stands Richard? What kind if so?

Cheers!
Old 26th Feb 2020, 4:20 pm   #17
mhennessy
Dekatron

Unfortunately, the current version of the Audax unit is different to the type originally fitted. So if you notice them sounding different above around 10kHz, you're not going mad. I mention this on my website - about half way down this page: http://markhennessy.co.uk/rogers/service.htm

If you're happy with how the new one sounds (relative to the original) below 10kHz, then it would be worth replacing both. Definitely do that if you're using them for anything serious.
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 2:38 pm   #18
RufKutz
Triode

OK the replacement tweeter has arrived and it wires in fine and the speaker is working

BUT...

the new tweeter appears to be slightly larger in diameter than the old one.

Did anyone else experience this issue? Did you just shave a bit off the hole or what
Old 6th Mar 2020, 9:32 pm   #19
BristolHoxa
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufKutz View Post

Do you have your set on stands Richard? What kind if so?
I had them made at a place in Leeds I think. Tubular metal. Pretty high to get tweeters to ear height. They're so heavy I think not much matters apart from some isolation if they're on a wooden floor.
Old 10th Mar 2020, 5:37 pm   #20
RufKutz
Triode

WOW!

the geniuses at the pro audio place next to me managed to swap out the tweeter diaphragm and I have a pair of working speakers - finally got them running together and boy they are sounding NICE! They are super loud and transparent. Time for stands and maybe a service of the amps...

thanks everybody for your advice, I would still be stuck with an very expensive set of paperweights if it wasn't for you lot!

Gonna get them running in Manchester out and about hopefully if anyone wants to have a listen...
Closed Thread