UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2020, 9:16 pm   #1
MickMoore
Triode

Default LP12 Turntable - Vintage Amp Options

I currently own a 1974 LP12 which doesn't have any major upgrades. I use a Vincent Pre-Amp and Power Amp through AE stand mount speakers.

I'm interested to hear what the turntable would sound like through a vintage integrated amp and possibly vintage speakers, something of a similar age I guess, as it would have sounded back then

I've been researching different amps to try but would appreciate members opinions. Not looking to throw too much money at this right now, more of an experiment really. Want to make sure I get amps that have been serviced or at least well looked after so I get the right sound.
Old 16th Feb 2020, 9:50 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: LP12 Turntable - Vintage Amp Options

The LP12 is inevitably associated with Naim amps, but they came a bit later, and besides, their stability is questionable so I wouldn't give one house room.

Amps on the go in that era would be the tail end of the Quad 33/303 and a few years before the 405. Posh people probably had a Radford, maybe a Sugden A48

But you're right at the time when amplifiers with DC blocking capacitors were about to give way to DC coupled designs. I'd go for the latter. THE classic speakers of the era were the ESL57 and the Spendor BC1. Maybe some Tannoys if you're feeling flush.

A lot depends on your preferences in music and your choice of cartridge.

David
Old 17th Feb 2020, 8:54 am   #3
snowman_al
Octode

As you say integrated,

My personal choice would be a Nytech CA202 or CA252. You can still get them serviced by people who made them. Or a little later, A Nytech (Ion) Obelisk 1 or 2. They all have capacitor output, like the 303, and a decent MC phono stage.

Forget a Naim Nait 1, far too pricey for what it is. But if two boxes are acceptable a Niam 42 pre and 110 power amp work well.

Then there is the whole world of classic Japanese amps and receivers from that time...

Speakers? Epos ES11 maybe.
Old 17th Feb 2020, 12:36 pm   #4
MickMoore
Triode

Many thanks for the input, much appreciated. Always fancied the Quad setup mentioned above. Possibly a little out of price range right now but certainly top of the list
Old 17th Feb 2020, 12:51 pm   #5
paulsherwin

A Leak Stereo 70 or Delta 70 would be period appropriate. I think my sixth form college music room had that setup in the early 70s. You should however bear in mind that transistor amps sounded progressively better until the early 80s as the designs and technology improved, so even a well chosen budget amp from the mid 80s will sound better than a Stereo 70.
Old 17th Feb 2020, 5:33 pm   #6
Tractionist
Heptode

Tandberg TA300 + Celestion Ditton 15's?
Old 17th Feb 2020, 5:40 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Try the problem in the reverse direction: Look around and see what's available, and then for each ossibility ask yourself if you'd like it.

If you set out for something specific, then you'll find it a lot more expensive.

Real fun comes from finding yourself a bargain, or finding something which is actually very good but got pooh-pooh'ed by the pundits.

David
Old 17th Feb 2020, 8:27 pm   #8
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMoore View Post
Many thanks for the input, much appreciated. Always fancied the Quad setup mentioned above. Possibly a little out of price range right now but certainly top of the list
Quad did in fact use the LP12 for exhibitions and the like until its use became "too political".
Old 17th Feb 2020, 9:17 pm   #9
MickMoore
Triode

Thanks again, some great recomendations there.

I do like your advice David, been looking around and would really love to find something sensibly priced that sounds great, it's partly about the journey ;-) . Wouldlove to stuble across something. Having paid to set up with the Vincent gear I'm keen to explore the cheaper end.

Found a Tandberg TA300 for around £100, bit battered but working. Rotel RA-812 for £80, really like the look of this amp. Technics SU-7300 Integrated Amplifier and ST-7300 Tuner for £130. Still looking at the Quad....uhm.

Appreciate any opinions on these.

Last edited by MickMoore; 17th Feb 2020 at 9:43 pm.
Old 17th Feb 2020, 9:56 pm   #10
MickMoore
Triode

Sansui A60 also looked nice for the money but reviews claim not particularly good sound, nice looks though!
Old 17th Feb 2020, 10:11 pm   #11
Radio Wrangler

Buying cheap hifi gear has a second string to its bow. Say you buy something, don't like it, you can probably sell it for what you paid and can then spin the wheel of fortune again until you land on something that does the business.

David
Old 17th Feb 2020, 10:16 pm   #12
MickMoore
Triode

Thanks David, yes, I've done this in the past, easy enough to sell on and no major investments
Old 17th Feb 2020, 11:07 pm   #13
MickMoore
Triode

Celestion DL4 - Any comments on these please?
Old 18th Feb 2020, 7:29 am   #14
Radio Wrangler

Don't know them.

I think the real bargains in speakers are in the unfashionably large. Local advertisements and collect only flags are worth looking for.

David
Old 19th Feb 2020, 9:45 am   #15
Spec-chum
Tetrode

I used to be very pleased with the sound quality of my vintage Sony TA-1055 integrated amplifier hooked up to a pair of Wharfedale Denton 2XP speakers. Had the matching Sony tuner too, but regretfully sold several years ago. I'd definitively jump at the chance to own a 1055 again if one comes my way.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 12:29 pm   #16
Mgmaudio
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMoore View Post
Quad did in fact use the LP12 for exhibitions and the like until its use became "too political".
I never thought politics came into audio.
Boris Johnson probably uses an iPhone, but then he has no taste...
Old 19th Feb 2020, 12:44 pm   #17
paulsherwin

No political discussions please, even as a joke.
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 8:58 pm   #18
MickMoore
Triode

Opinions on the Technics SU-7300 please?
Old 24th Feb 2020, 12:06 am   #19
Radio Wrangler

Think it's an STK modules type of power amplifier. Probably sounds OK, but the little devils are almost irreplaceable, so I'd give it a miss and look for something with discrete transistors.

David
Old 24th Feb 2020, 10:27 am   #20
MickMoore
Triode

Ah that's great, thank you. Struggling to find many of the recommendations made above, hence looking at the Technics etc. Any more suggestions would be great on amp/speakers. I like the look of some of the old Castle speakers (Clyde/Richmond for example) I'm happy to use pre-amp/power amp, just thought my options would be limited with vintage.
Still very tempted by the Quad setup. Would this be the best option at the price point?

Would the Rotel RA-310 fall into the same category as the Technics?

Last edited by MickMoore; 24th Feb 2020 at 10:43 am.
Closed Thread