UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2020, 8:19 pm   #1
Amraduk
Hexode

Default Airflow Mini-loovent Model SELV-HLM

Does anyone know how to remove the motor from one of these extractor fans?

Regards,

Dave.
Old 13th Feb 2020, 10:51 am   #2
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Default Re: Airflow Mini-loovent Model SELV-HLM

Dave Im probably totally wrong but I believe in years gone bye one version you had to loosen a screw or 2 then slide the motor tray to one side then it dropped down. . Andy
Old 13th Feb 2020, 11:35 am   #3
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Dave, a photo of the Fan would be interesting, as I was unable to find one showing that particular model.

Going back over the past 30 years or more, I thought of the original Loovent, made by Airflow of High Wycombe, as the Rolls Royce of Extractor Fans, particularly the twin motor version.

Sadly that is no longer true.

Now, Airflow no longer sell parts, instead advising replace the complete unit, some of which are > £200.

Originally Motors were produced inhouse with a start circuit. Now are from India without such, whose Stators frequently go o/c and/or the Bearings rapidly fail The units are guaranteed two years, but can fail soon after.

I have a number of Loovents with failed (later) Motors, but Airflow will not supply spares. Have considered the only way forward would be contacting the Indian Motor Manufacturer direct.

This saddens me, being another example of British Companies looking at the bottom line, rather than above it such as Quality, Endurance etc.

I also have some decades old earlier Fans working perfectly. Although regularly serviced, by dismantling (including Motors) in order to clean and lubricate the Bearings. Something not mentioned in the User Guide.

Regards - Mike
Old 13th Feb 2020, 2:35 pm   #4
Amraduk
Hexode

@ bionicmerlin,

Thanks for your suggestion, however, this one is arranged differently. The fan has to be removed, which I tried initially, but it didn't seem to want to come of. I tried again with a lot more force which did get the fan off. I was then able to access the motor mounting screws to remove the motor. After completely dismantling, cleaning and oiling the motor and putting it back together, it now runs without making the screeching sound it was making.

Regards,

Dave.
Old 13th Feb 2020, 2:40 pm   #5
Amraduk
Hexode

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your post, which I've only just seen. As you will see from my reply to bionicmerlin, I have been able to remove the motor and now having it working well again! I think the motor was made in Italy.

Regards,

Dave.
Old 13th Feb 2020, 7:20 pm   #6

I installed, many years ago, a cheap (we where poor) bathroom extractor, it went wrong in about a year. Replaced by a Papst industrial unit, that has been working for over 25 years now and is much quieter. I have no idea how much it cost as it came from a works skip, quality item.

Closed Thread