UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2020, 1:59 pm   #21
hannahs radios
Hexode

Default Re: Fluorescent Light with BC Light in

The Atlas brand fittings did indeed use a filament lamp instead of a choke, it was part of an effort by them to try to make a lightweight flouro lamp that could be used in domestic settings without the need to install new wiring. I did some experiments a while back using filament lamps as ballasts in 2 and 4 foot fittings it all worked surprisingly well, the tubes were a little dimmer and slower to start but the difference was hardly a big problem. I used 100 and 150 watt bulbs, both worked well
Old 5th Feb 2020, 4:17 pm   #22
broadgage
Nonode

As the correct tungsten ballast lamps are no longer readily available, a possible alternative would be 196 volt, 100 watt lamps which were manufactured until recently and may still be made, they are available from several sources.
One of those in series with a four foot, 40 watt lamp works fine.
Old 6th Feb 2020, 11:57 am   #23
1100 man
Octode

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, this old thread on fluorescent lighting makes fascinating reading. It's well worth working through although it's very long!

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=59586

I've yet to see an incandescent lamp grafted onto a 4 pin starter, but will now know what it is when I find one!

All the best
Nick
Old 6th Feb 2020, 2:02 pm   #24
broadgage
Nonode

Another rather odd option for a series ballast lamp might be Christmas lights.
8 of the common 20 volt, 3 watt lamps in series would drop the correct voltage of 160 volts.
3 such strings in parallel would be about the right current at 0.45 amps.

Or 50 volt 25 watt pilot lamps, three in series.
Closed Thread