UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2020, 2:00 am   #1
Backtoreality
Hexode

Default Avometer Model 7

Hi folks,
I've just bought a Model 7 for spares, the battery cover in particular that I've been trying to get hold of for quite a while now but also possibly the meter movement to replace a sometimes slightly sticky one I've got in my Model 7 I repaired last year. However, having taken delivery I've discovered that it was made in April 1944 and it could be fully functional!
Can I bring myself to cannibalise it? I'm very reluctant to do so!
It has clearly suffered a serious drop because the front has a crack, the bakelite back is broken at the battery opening and the battery box was badly glued having been in pieces! I've dismantled the badly glued parts with copious amounts of acetone and superglued everything back together as best as I could.
The glass is also cracked in 3 places on the right hand side so before reassembly and further testing I'd like to try to replace it. The serial number is 7444-14412. I've attached a few photos below. I do have a couple of questions: 1) Is there a recommended procedure for removing the movement which seems quite complex having a bimetallic strip attached to it. 2) Has anyone got a spare glass or suggestion about where to get a piece?
Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Avo 7 Front.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	199602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Avo 7 Inside.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	199603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Avo 7 Case.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	199604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Avo 7 Inside 2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	199605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Serial Number.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	199606  

Old 24th Feb 2020, 1:31 pm   #2
Superscope
Octode

Default Re: Avometer Model 7

Hi David,

You will need to remove the Temperature Compensator (bimetallic strip) first, in order to gain
access to one the the Meter Movement retaining Screws.

The Temperature Compensator Board is held in by Two Screws and also includes the Swamp Resister if Memory serves me right..
I would recommend un-soldering the Compensator Board first being careful not to loose the
Screws, Nuts and Washers which can drop and get lost easily.

Once the Board is out, the Movement can be un-soldered and it's Two retaining Screws can be removed and the Movement taken out.
Of course, follow the normal precautions about touching the Magnets with any Ferrous Tools!

It is not as complicated as it might look at first.
I find these early Model 7's fascinating.

Since this is an early Model 7 (Relatively), it is definitely worth saving.

This was the Thread I started a while back regarding my Model 7 of a similar age to yours:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=160057

Ian
Old 24th Feb 2020, 1:42 pm   #3
Superscope
Octode

Forgot the mention, regarding the Glass, they do come up on Ebay occasionally, but tend
to be expensive when one considers the poor Prices Model 7's normally achieve.

You might be able to find a Glass supplier who could knock one up for you, but it should
be Instrument Glass which I think is around 3.5mm and that is not always easy to find.

I have successfully used old Greenhouse Glass on larger Meters, and you could possably get
away with that at a push.

Although, I try to keep repairs as accurate as possible when it comes to AVO's.

Ian
Old 24th Feb 2020, 1:51 pm   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

It is the right time of year to get a bit of scrap glass from a gardener who is fixing a greenhouse.
It is nice and windy so with a 12 volt drill and a diamond wheel running from a battery in a strong side wind cut a bit of glass the right size and glue it into the front panel.
Old 24th Feb 2020, 2:04 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I believe the glass is held in with Stockholm tar. I have an AVO 8 that needed a new glass; original was cracked. I took the old piece to a glazier in Penrith and he found a piece of glass the same thickness and cut me a new one. Eight quid.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 24th Feb 2020, 2:21 pm   #6
Backtoreality
Hexode

Thanks for that Ian (and other contributors). I really enjoyed reading your restoration account, particularly the information about the rectifier which I have wondered about with my other Model 7. This forum really is a fantastic resource of knowledgeable and experienced people!
David
Old 24th Feb 2020, 4:33 pm   #7
The Philpott
Dekatron

..If you go a glazier take the bare meter with you to trial fit the new glass- it's easy to get it marginally oversize and get left with a tricky trimming job (But in my experience if you raise the issue straight away they will simply cut a new piece without further charge.)

I did some work on a Model 7 from year 1939, which i summarised on the Avometer Survey Thread, page 72 et. seq. I think i got the movement out without disturbing the bimetallic coil, but i wouldn't recommend it.

Dave
Old 24th Feb 2020, 5:56 pm   #8
ex 2 Base
Heptode

The glass from an old picture frame is thin and might be OK as a replacement. Ted
Old 24th Feb 2020, 10:47 pm   #9
Backtoreality
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex 2 Base View Post
The glass from an old picture frame is thin and might be OK as a replacement. Ted
I think I'll try that Ted! There are loads of old photo frames in the local charity shop.
David
Old 12th Mar 2020, 6:42 pm   #10
Backtoreality
Hexode

Well the glass from a photo frame was successfully cut to size and shape. I used a standard glass cutter for the straight lines and nibbled bits off where necessary then I got my Black and Decker Dremmel with a diamond cutting wheel for the curved cut. I went right through the glass on one side of the curve and then twisted the curved section and it snapped free.
I haven't glued the glass into the meter, I've just used the four fixings.
Old 12th Mar 2020, 7:26 pm   #11
Backtoreality
Hexode

I have repaired the case and battery box with "SupaFix" which I got from Halfords. Its a kit intended for repairs which uses super glue and one of two different types of catalyst in the form of either black or grey powder, which both contain calcium oxide. When mixed with a drop of super glue the mix goes rock hard in seconds and can be used to fill cracks and holes. The black powder I've been told is for hard plastics and the grey powder is for soft plastics. The instructions don't tell you this though.
After reassembling the back and battery box I made a replica Exide B23 battery for the 1.5V cell and tested the two lower resistance ranges. These both worked!
I then tested the DC voltage and current ranges. The lowest of each worked but nothing higher so I checked the shunts. The 4500 ohm resistance was open circuit on the top resistance board (voltage) and the end of a wire had come away from a soldered joint on the bottom resistance board (current).
I took loads of photos and then removed the boards one at a time. Resoldering one wire restored the current ranges. The 4.5k resistor on the top board was open circuit and I couldn't see the break so I made up the value with two resistors in parallel. I then found that the 44.2k was open circuit! I must have done some damage while soldering. Anyway I had measured this with my Avo DMM at 43.9k so I made this value up with two more resistors and put it back together.
Thank goodness I'd taken lots of photos because I had to use them for re-assembly!
Having got it all back together all the DC ranges and resistance ranges are now working and appear to be very accurate!
David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dead resistances left and middle.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	200765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad soldered joint.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	200766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resistors in place.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	200767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re-assembled meter.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	200768  
Old 12th Mar 2020, 7:35 pm   #12
Backtoreality
Hexode

I forgot to mention that I disguised the new resistors by wrapping them in masking tape and coating it with walnut coloured varnish. I tested a 3.9k resistor and a 15k resistor on the 1M ohm range and it was spot on as can be seen in the last two photos.
David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bad soldered joint.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	200774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repaired case inside.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	200775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repaired case outside.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	200776   Click image for larger version

Name:	3K9 resistor.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	200777   Click image for larger version

Name:	15K resistor.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	200778  

Old 12th Mar 2020, 10:57 pm   #13
The Philpott
Dekatron

Saved! That glued repair should hold- looks like clean cracks.
The irony is that those who make these things into table lamps would have rejected this one on the basis that it was too much effort.

Dave
Old 13th Mar 2020, 11:21 am   #14
Backtoreality
Hexode

They would! Incidentally, I managed to get the meter out without disturbing the temperature compensator too. A very thin, good quality screwdriver was required but it saved a lot of messing around! All of the info on the forum was really useful! At one point when reassembling I thought I'd have a look in my 1951 Model 7 to check a couple of connections. I'd forgotten that the top resistor board is completely different so I rechecked to the photos I'd taken instead.
David
Closed Thread