UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2020, 1:17 pm   #1
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Default Sony TC 800A Portable R2R

Hi everyone and another question ref the Sony TC800A portable R2R.
The actual mains lead that connects to the body of the unit is very difficult to obtain but, the 12volt battery lead comes with the essential mains plug that fits the body, question is, is it possible to convert a 12 volt lead and stabiliser to a 110/120 volts lead. The internal transformer says 110/120 volts on it, there is no mention of the unit being a 240 volt machine, is this correct? any advice is welcomed
Old 19th Jun 2020, 4:48 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony TC 800A Portable R2R

There seem to have been several models with mains transformers wound for different voltages. If yours is an American-sold one it might well be 120V only.

Alas you can't convert the battery lead (safely) into the mains lead. There are 4 holes in the connector, 2 for mains, 2 for 12V input and only the appropriate ones are fitted with contacts in each lead. As the connector is moulded, you can't move the contacts around. And whatever you do, don't re-wire the machine to put the mains input on the '12V' pins, somebody will either plug a 12V lead into that machine and burn out the transformer or use your 'mains' lead with some other Sony device and apply mains to the 12V circuitry.

Given you have a 120V machine which would need an external transformer to run it in the UK, you might find it easier to just make a small 12V power supply and connect the 12V lead to that.

I've attached a circuit diagram that I traced out of the regulator unit in the 12V cable, just in case it's any use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sony_dcc-2aw_circuit.pdf (255.8 KB, 43 views)
Old 19th Jun 2020, 4:54 pm   #3
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Default Re: Sony TC 800A Portable R2R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
There seem to have been several models with mains transformers wound for different voltages. If yours is an American-sold one it might well be 120V only.

Alas you can't convert the battery lead (safely) into the mains lead. There are 4 holes in the connector, 2 for mains, 2 for 12V input and only the appropriate ones are fitted with contacts in each lead. As the connector is moulded, you can't move the contacts around. And whatever you do, don't re-wire the machine to put the mains input on the '12V' pins, somebody will either plug a 12V lead into that machine and burn out the transformer or use your 'mains' lead with some other Sony device and apply mains to the 12V circuitry.

Given you have a 120V machine which would need an external transformer to run it in the UK, you might find it easier to just make a small 12V power supply and connect the 12V lead to that.

I've attached a circuit diagram that I traced out of the regulator unit in the 12V cable, just in case it's any use.
Thanks Tony, you've told me exactly what I needed to know and in a well informed manner and i have taken on-board all you say, 12 volt it is then. Thanks bud
Closed Thread