UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2020, 8:17 pm   #1
hillmanie
Pentode

Default Silvertone tape recorder

Preliminary question - The recorder is a Revelation and I think may be Citation model but not sure. Paul doesn't list it so I'm asking here if anyone may have the schematics for it. If not, the plan is to convert what I see physically into a circuit diagram by writing down what each component is connected to etc. It's a simple enough looking affair with the usual 3 valves ECC, ECL and EM Magic Eye as found in many British made recorders. I can probably work it out from schematics I have for comparison. When done and I've made some tests I will undoubtedly be back here looking for help! The issue is the erase not working. It records and replays my voice but doesn't overwrite the previous recording.
TT.
Old 8th Jun 2020, 8:28 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Revelation Citation?

Not a make/model I have heard of.
Old 8th Jun 2020, 8:39 pm   #3
hillmanie
Pentode

Default Re: Revelation Citation?

The Revelation bit is written on the lid OK (I'll be posting pics when I start dumping on you folks) Funny thing is it rings a faint bell somewhere, but of course in my case that somewhere could be anywhere, like for instance something from the Bible. Not my forte though, as have visited tech books more often. It's got the Collaro Studio deck
T
Old 8th Jun 2020, 9:25 pm   #4
hillmanie
Pentode

Angry Re: Revelation Citation?

Dear me but I do get those brain off the perch spasms. Wrong lid. Found a piece of paper inside the works citing Silvertone, no model. Paul has this brand radio but no recorder listed. Otherwise my original post is valid
T
Old 8th Jun 2020, 11:43 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Silvertone tape recorder

Thread retitled, can you post some photographs to help identification.
Old 9th Jun 2020, 12:19 am   #6
hillmanie
Pentode

Thanks Bill. Will do. Have to make a little space and I'm in business
Old 9th Jun 2020, 5:17 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The only Silvertone schematic I could easily find was for an earlier radio + wire recorder model the 8086/8102.
Old 9th Jun 2020, 9:38 pm   #8
hillmanie
Pentode

Agreed. Definitely a minority product. (Having camera trouble just now) It may well be that the electronics are very standard, after I've drawn it from the components. I'll bring all the info I have to the Forum asap plus my certain plea for help
Thanks
T
Old 9th Jun 2020, 11:39 pm   #9
ben
Dekatron

Googling 'silvertone reel tape' brought up a number of models, mostly US origin. Maybe one is yours?
Old 10th Jun 2020, 9:41 am   #10
hillmanie
Pentode

Now that is interesting. Either I was Googling in the wrong place or with finger trouble. I feel I'm not helping until I can take viewable pics, (can't get them bright) but meanwhile it seems mine is European. Has the Collaro Studio deck and 250v electrics. The wiring has a touch of home brew about it. Maybe it was just the box was Silvertone.
Will update asap
T
Old 10th Jun 2020, 10:40 am   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Not sure if this helps the Maker identification, but the luggage maker REVELATION had a small range of quite well built and specified portable record players made for them in around 1960-1962. This was the same period as the (excellent) Collaro "Studio" deck.
Old 10th Jun 2020, 10:49 am   #12
vidjoman
Dekatron

Silvertone is an American maker. Revelation was/is a maker of suitcases and similar. Back in the 1960’s they ventured into record players and tape decks, as they made the carry cases and sold as Silvertone but don’t know if there was any connection with the American company. Don’t think very many were sold as most people wanted a “Dansette”.
No idea who made the electronics but possibly Fidelity or Elizabethan.
Old 10th Jun 2020, 12:56 pm   #13
AC/HL
Dekatron

Might not have been the wrong lid after all!
Old 10th Jun 2020, 1:03 pm   #14
hillmanie
Pentode

The thick plottens. Saga to be continued.....
T
Old 10th Jun 2020, 2:53 pm   #15
vidjoman
Dekatron

Pictures of the amp may reveal a maker.
Old 10th Jun 2020, 3:47 pm   #16
hillmanie
Pentode

Sadly, I've taken a few and they're awful No Vogue magazine job for me. Then the camera bombed out. Will have to start again and revert
Old 10th Jun 2020, 8:41 pm   #17
hillmanie
Pentode

Have uploaded pics of the circuit board and the cabinet lid, quality not yet wonderful. (can't see them - have I mucked up) I didn't get close enough to the big blue capacitor to read the values but I know there are experts here who will make something of it
The valves are EF86, ECL86 and EM84 Magic Eye Thanks for the help.
Old 11th Jun 2020, 8:37 pm   #18
hillmanie
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmanie View Post
Have uploaded pics of the circuit board and the cabinet lid, quality not yet wonderful. (can't see them - have I mucked up)
The upload seems to have worked OK but 'fraid I can't see the pics as attachments to the posting. Thought they'd show as thumbnails

Do I have to create an Album first?
Does it work with Reply or do I have start a new Thread

Thanks for patience
TT
Old 11th Jun 2020, 11:00 pm   #19
DMcMahon
Dekatron

One way is, start a new reply (Quick Reply), then after typing up any required text you then select "Go Advanced" then scroll down a bit to select "Manage Attachments", then from the Manage Attachments pop up window you select (up to a max of 5) your files by selecting Browse and then select "Upload".

After a delay you then should see your files shown as attachments to your message, once happy then select "Post Quick Reply".

Depending upon the file type being attached there are file size limits, so if your file (s) are larger than the file size limit, the file (s) will not be accepted as attachments.

David
Old 12th Jun 2020, 11:46 am   #20
hillmanie
Pentode

Thanks for that, David. I have been fumbling with something like that procedure but obviously missed something. I got as far as seeing the 5 files all ticked/checked by name but when I selected the UPLOAD button nothing seemed to happen. I'll now follow your instructions to the letter and report back
Tony
Closed Thread