UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2020, 5:35 am   #1
Akai GX-370D
Diode

Default Akai 370D I found in a storage locker... Value?

I buy storage units that go up for auction and happened to stumble upon a Akai GX-370D reel to reel recorder. I’d love to know some more information on these. I’ve tried to do some research and found that it was a top of line reel to reel recorder from 1973... tbh I see some of the lesser models going for a good amount of money. Mine seems to be in mint like condition but haven’t tested it yet. I thought if anyone would know it would be someone on a forum like this... I’d like to know what someone would think that it could be worth. Thanks guys!
Old 8th May 2020, 10:29 am   #2
garry71
Tetrode

Default Re: Akai 370D I found in a storage locker... Value?

Completed listings for it on ebay will give you a decent idea of how much it's worth.
Old 8th May 2020, 5:17 pm   #3
Akai GX-370D
Diode

That’s just the thing, there are none for this model.... I saw one of these listed for 699 on reverb.com but it’s no longer there after just 2 days.. and it looked in a lot worse condition then mine. So I really can’t tell the value of it.
Old 8th May 2020, 5:51 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Depending upon its cosmetic condition and its operationally status it potentially could be a very good unit, sales brochure attached.

It includes the Akai Compute-O-Matic automatic recording level adjustment which may not be popular with the Akai purists.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Akai GX-370D Brochure.pdf (1.39 MB, 97 views)
Old 8th May 2020, 9:09 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

I've not seen one this side of the Atlantic. The Japanese manufacturers put a lot of effort into doing up-market domestic machines like this, but over here they fell into a hole in the market. The sorts of people they were aiming at went for Revox machines instead.

But, that said, a 3-motor Akai deck with their better grade heads is interesting. What the brochure doesn't say is that ferrite heads (single crystal or not) are noisier than ordinary metal heads, and they go into saturation sooner, so you lose a little dynamic range at both ends of the scale.

The price you get is going to depend so much on who is looking at the time, and most would need some reassurance that it was tested and working to get the best price. Remember also that no machines on ebay etc also means that no-one is selling any in parts as spares, so if anything breaks, that's the end of it.

David
Old 8th May 2020, 9:28 pm   #6
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The closest UK equivalent is the 365, but there weren't that many about, most of that market going to Revox, as David says.
Old 8th May 2020, 9:50 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

A lot will depend on if/how well it works. If it has been standing for some time, it's fairly certain work will be needed to get it going reliably. Try the US- based Tapeheads forum, maybe there'll be someone local to you who can assist.
Old 9th May 2020, 9:30 am   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I can see one in the USA on eBay.com and one in Germany on eBay.de (also on eBay.com).
Old 9th May 2020, 10:04 am   #9
Cobaltblue

This one sold in UK but its back on sale I see.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Akia-reel...p2047675.l2557

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread