UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2020, 4:51 pm   #1
Linnovice
Hexode

Default Recorder Panel Repairs

Hi all, I am in the process of refurbishing a Teac A3440 Tape Machine. It's been stored in a London loft for over 30 years so you can imagine the state that it's in. Internally, most of it can be saved and revived. The bottom half is good the top (motors etc) are ok but filthy. My problem is with the cosmetic panels. The casing can be sprayed and restored to a good finish but, there is one panel I am really struggling with. It is the bottom panel on the front. I carries the VU meters and control knobs/switches with their accompanying legends that have been silk screened on. The surface of the panel is pitted with rust. If I rub it down I loose the legends. Can anyone suggest a way I can rescue this? I am not a an experience metal worker so am basically ignorant of what can be done. In principal the easiest is to replace but they are like hen's teeth. Any advice would be most welcome. I'm attaching a photo to give you some idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1475.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	204960